Amatriciana Pasta with Chicken (or Chicken Fettuccine with Blush Tomato Sauce) – a simple but delicious chicken and pasta dish that you can make any day of the week or even to serve at a dinner party.
Before I get any Italians riled up out there I know full well that this is not an authentic Americana Pasta Sauce recipe, which can be actually much simpler. In fact this one s based upon a chain restaurant version that I first had many years ago. I’m not a big fan of chain restaurants but I was obliged to go there with a group of co-workers and this looked like the most interesting thing on the menu.
To be honest, it wasn’t bad. Still, as I always do, I set out to make it even better at home….and succeeded. The smokiness of the bacon, the sweetness of the tomatoes & peppers, the slight saltiness of the capers and olives plus the added richness of the cream to the sauce all combine to make one delicious dish.
This one is in my personal favorite Top Ten pasta dishes. I love the smokiness of the bacon in the tomato herb sauce and the richness of a little added cream as well. This recipe is as impressive enough for dinner guests but is so good you’ll likely make it more often as a regular family supper. It certainly has made many, many appearances at our family dinner table.
Like this Amatriciana Pasta recipe?
You’ll find lots of inspiration for great pasta dinners and more in our Italian Inspired Recipes Category.
Originally published Jan 22 2008
- 6 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 3 tbsp Olive Oil
- 4-6 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 8 strips crisp cooked smoked bacon crumbled
- 2 19-ounce cans roma tomatoes I puree tomatoes in the food processor
- 2 Tbsp Brown Sugar
- 4 tbsp Fresh Basil or Oregano (chopped) or half that amount dried
- 1 large diced tomato
- 1 red pepper diced
- ½ cup kalamata olives pitted and chopped
- 1½ cups sliced mushrooms
- ½ tsp coarsely ground black pepper or to taste for seasoning
- 1 tsp salt or to taste for seasoning
- 1 tsp chill flakes or to taste
- 2 tablespoons capers roughly chopped
- ½ cup whipping cream
- ½ cup grated Parmesan Romano, or Asiago Cheese
- 1 to 1½ pounds fresh fettuccine
- Flatten the chicken breasts to about a half inch thickness. Season both sides with salt and pepper
- Grill chicken breasts on the barbeque or pan fry them in the olive oil.
- Cook your chicken breasts in advance and slice or dice them and set aside. I have even cooked them the day before and used them cold out of the fridge.
- Add about 3 tbsp olive oil to a large dutch oven over medium low heat.
- Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute. Add tomato sauce, brown sugar, fresh basil or oregano, bacon, peppers, tomato, olives, chilli flakes, salt and pepper to taste. I like lots of pepper in this recipe.
- Simmer this sauce, uncovered, for 20 minutes, add whipping cream and simmer for 5 minutes more.
- Add the chicken to the sauce and simmer for 5 more minutes, uncovered.
- Stir in the parmesan cheese and remove from heat.
- Serve over cooked linguine, or fettuccine, and top with grated Parmesan or Romano cheese.