Pizza Frita – or Toutons and Tomatoes! Italian kids love their fried bread or pizza dough with tomato sauce and cheese. Newfoundlanders love their toutens, and once you try this, you’ll be hooked too.
Pizza Fritta or Toutons and Tomatoes!
- one dozen toutons
- grated parmesan cheese
- 4 cloves minced garlic
- 6 tbsp olive oil
- 8 large ripe tomatoes diced
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 6 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- ½ tsp crushed chili sauce or chili flakes (more or less to taste to control the heat)
- salt and pepper to season
- Saute the garlic in the oil over medium heat for just a minute before adding the tomatoes, brown sugar, chili sauce, salt, pepper. Continue to cook until the tomatoes soften and the compote reduces to a jam-like consistency. Add the balsamic vinegar in the final minute or two of cooking before serving.
- Serve the tomato compote over the warm toutons with a sprinkle of freshly grated Parmesan cheese.