Radicchio Almond Caesar Salad – this amazing recipe ups the ante on traditional caesar salad with flavour elements that include the entire taste range from sweet to salty.
This is another of Spouse’s specialties and my favourite salad these days too. Many chefs claim that a perfect dish combines sweet, salty, bitter and sour tastes. Perhaps this is why I love this one so much; even more than a standard Caesar salad. The sweetness of the golden raisins, the saltiness of the bacon, the slightly bitter edge of the radicchio and the pungent, slightly sour note of good Parmesan cheese all combine to make what may be the perfect salad. Add to that sweet red onion and the nutty flavor of toasted almonds and you will probably omit the “may” portion of that last sentence. Highly recommended!!
Originally published on Feb 20, 2009.
Use your favorite recipe for Caesar dressing or try mine. Find it here: Caesar Dressing
- 1 large head romaine lettuce, chopped, washed and dried
- 1 small red onion, very thinly sliced
- ½ cup golden raisins
- ¼ cup toasted slivered almonds
- ¼ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 6 slices sugar cured smoked bacon, crisp fried and chopped
- 1 small head radicchio chopped, washed and dried
- ½ cup good Caesar salad dressing
- Toss all the ingredients very well together just before serving.