Roasted Garlic and Lemon Duchess Potatoes – golden crusted, creamy duchess potatoes with sweet roasted garlic and a hint of lemon.
More great side dish ideas is one request often made by our readers and are always a welcome addition to a recipe arsenal. So often we have the same roast chicken, beef or turkey and the side dishes become even more important to add interest to what might otherwise be a rather mundane meal.
As part of a recent Sunday dinner which would do great service as a Thanksgiving or even Christmas dinner, we enjoyed these potatoes with roasted vegetables and a very delicious Lemon Sage Butter Roasted Turkey. The lemon and roasted garlic for these potatoes actually came from roasting the vegetables that we served with it but if you are making this as a side dish for another meal, they are easily roasted on their own.
- 3 lbs red or yellow potatoes
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- ½ tsp salt
- 4 tbsp melted butter
- ⅓ cup cold whipping cream
- 4 egg yolks
- ½ roasted lemon, juiced
- 4 cloves roasted garlic
- drizzle olive oil (for lemon and garlic roasting)
- Place garlic cloves in a garlic roaster or just wrap in aluminum foil with a pinch of salt and a light drizzle of olive oil.
- In a small glass baking dish drizzle a little olive oil then place the lemon, cut side down. Roast with the garlic for 45 minutes or so or until the garlic has softened.
- Meanwhile, peel and cut your potatoes into chucks and simmer gently until fully cooked and for tender. Drain.
- Mash the potatoes well and add the butter, juice from the roasted lemon, roasted garlic and salt and pepper. Mash until smooth.
- Whisk together the egg yolks and whipping cream. Quickly mix into the mashed potatoes. Turn into a greased baking dish and bake at 375 degrees F for about 20 minutes or until the top turns golden brown.
- Duchess potatoes can also be baked on a parchment lined baking sheets by dolloping the potato mixture or even piping it onto the sheet in individual servings or smaller sizes to serve 2 or 3 as a serving.