Chocolate Chip Coconut Pecan Cookies. Chewy chocolate chip cookies with crispy edges and packed with coconut and crunchy pecans. Make them even more eye catching with easy additional garnishes.
As often happens around here, I find myself buying in bulk and then rushing to use a surplus ingredient. Such was the case with these coconut pecan cookies.
I had purchased rather large bags of pecans and coconut during the Christmas baking season. Now the rush is on to put the little that remains of them to good use.
I also wanted to experiment with creating a really eye-catching chocolate chip cookie for a grown up birthday party that’s coming up. So I took the opportunity to do both.
Melting extra chocolate chips on top of the freshly baked cookies was an idea that I borrowed from our very popular Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars recipe. It worked very well here, as well as adding some additional toasted pecans and coconut to increase their visual appeal. They do look quite irresistible.
I like to make large cookies when taking them out to parties and get-togethers, so this time I actually weighed the dough to get the perfect size. I think 2ounces of dough makes the ideal sized large cookie.
It looks terrific and even if you don’t want to eat a full cookie, that size also makes them ideal to easily break in half and share with a friend.
Be warned though, you may want to choose a friend who’s likely to want to share another half later. These are so good, there’s a high likelihood you’ll go back for a second half. 😉
You might also like to try some of our very popular recipes in our Best Newfoundland Christmas Cookies Collection. They are definitely worth making at any time of year!
Like this Chocolate Chip Coconut Pecan Cookies recipe?
Be sure to browse the photo index of over 200 cookie and cookie bar recipes is in our expansive Cookies Category.
It’s easy to keep up with the latest home style cooking & baking ideas from Rock Recipes. Be sure to follow Rock Recipes Facebook Page and follow us on Instagram. Plus you’ll see daily recipe suggestions from decadent desserts to quick delicious weekday meals too.
You can also sign up for our FREE newsletter to know immediately when we add new recipes. You’ll also get weekly suggestions for great family friendly meals and desserts too!
Chewy chocolate chip cookies with crispy edges and packed with coconut and crunchy pecans. Make them even more eye catching with easy additional garnishes.
- 1⅓ cups all purpose flour
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ cup light brown sugar
- ½ cup white sugar
- ½ cup butter
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup semisweet or dark chocolate chips
- 1/3 cup dried coconut
- 1/2 cup roughly chopped pecans
For garnish (optional)
- 1/4 cup approximately of additional chocolate chips
- 2-3 tbsp lightly toasted coconut
- 1/4 cup toasted, roughly chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- In a medium sized bowl whisk together flour, salt, and baking soda.
- In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Add the egg and vanilla and combine thoroughly.
- Add the flour mixture to the creamed mixture. Mix only enough to incorporate flour. Do not over mix. Fold in the chocolate chips, coconut and chopped pecans.
- Form cookies by weighing out 2 ounces of the dough and rolling in balls. The balls will be about 1 1/2 inches in diameter. Lay the balls on the parchment lined cookie sheet about 2 inches apart. flatten the balls of dough slightly with the bottom of a drinking glass.
- Bake until light brown around the edges, about 15 -16 minutes.
- Over baking is the biggest problem with most chocolate chip cookies.
- Your oven temperature and the type of cookie sheet you use will vary the baking times considerably. When they are golden brown around the edges is the time to remove them from the oven. Thinking they are a little underdone is probably a good thing and they should fall at the center after they have been removed from the oven. Experiment by baking only a couple of cookies at a time to see what the perfect baking time is for your oven.
- Cool for 10 minutes on the baking sheet before removing to a wire rack to cool thoroughly.
- If you wish to garnish the cookies as shown, simply sprinkle about a dozen chocolate chips in a single layer over each cookie, immediately after they come out of the oven. Let the cookies stand for 5 minutes, then spread the melted chocolate over the center of each cookie. While still hot, sprinkle on the toasted coconut and toasted chopped pecans.
Serving Size1 large cookie
Amount Per Serving Calories 377 Total Fat 22g Saturated Fat 11g Trans Fat 0g Unsaturated Fat 9g Cholesterol 37mg Sodium 237mg Carbohydrates 45g Fiber 3g Sugar 30g Protein 4g
Rock Recipes a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. Our product recommendations are almost exclusively for those we currently use or have used in the past.