Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Cheesecake. An ultimately indulgent cheesecake packed with chunks of cookie dough and topped with chocolate ganache and vanilla whipped cream.
One of our regular readers provided the inspiration for this sinful cheesecake.
She had taken our recipe for Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Cheesecake Bars and turned it into an actual cheesecake. The only adjustments made were by doubling the recipe and putting it into a spring form pan.
However, I thought perhaps the cheesecake from that recipe might be a bit dense for that purpose. So, I set out to see if it would work with a creamier cheesecake recipe.
I did cut back a little on the whipping cream that I normally put into a cheesecake. The reason to make the batter a little thicker.
I felt this would help to hold the cookie dough better without falling to the bottom too much, and it worked very well.
The cookie dough in this recipe is the same as used in those decadent cheesecake cookie bars.
It should be should be very cold when it’s folded into the cheesecake batter so be sure to make it an hour or more in advance of the rest of the recipe.
Originally published April 2014.
Love chocolate desserts?
Be sure to browse this incredible collection of Favourite Chocolate Recipes from the past 10 years on Rock Recipes.
Like this Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Cheesecake recipe?
You’ll find hundreds of other sweet ideas in our Cakes & Pies Category and even more in our Desserts Category.
It’s easy to keep up with the latest home style cooking & baking ideas from Rock Recipes. Be sure to follow Rock Recipes Facebook Page and follow us on Instagram.
Plus you’ll see daily recipe suggestions from decadent desserts to quick delicious weekday meals too.
You can also sign up for our FREE newsletter to know immediately when we add new recipes. You’ll also get weekly suggestions for great family friendly meals and desserts too!
Rock Recipes a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. Our product recommendations are almost exclusively for those we currently use or have used in the past.
Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Cheesecake
Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Cheesecake - an ultimately indulgent cheesecake packed with chunks of cookie dough and topped with chocolate ganache and vanilla whipped cream.
For the cookie dough
- ½ cup butter
- ⅓ cup white sugar
- ⅓ cup dark brown sugar
- 1½ tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup plus 2 tbsp flour
- pinch salt
- 1 cup chocolate chips
For the Cookie Crumb Crust
- 1⅓ cups graham cracker crumbs
- 3 tbsp sugar
- ⅓ cup melted butter
For the Vanilla Cheesecake
- 2 eight ounce packages ounces cream cheese
- ⅔ cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ cup whipping cream
For the chocolate ganache
- ⅓ cup whipping cream
- 1⅓ cups chocolate chips
For the Vanilla Whipped Cream
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 3 rounded tbsp icing sugar, (powdered sugar)
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
To prepare the cookie dough
- Cream together the butter, white sugar, brown sugar and vanilla extract very well.
- Fold in the flour and salt just until a dough forms, then mix in the chocolate chips.
- Chill the dough in the fridge for at least an hour.
- Break off small nuggets of the dough about the size of the top of your forefinger. Place them on a parchment lined tray and keep chilled in the fridge. About ¾ of these dough nuggets will go into the cheesecake batter. Reserve the other ¼ to garnish the cheesecake after it is baked, cooled and glazed.
To prepare the Cookie Crumb Crust
- In a small bowl, combine the graham cracker crumbs, sugar and melted butter.
- Press into the bottom of a lightly greased or parchment lined 9 inch spring form pan. (Grease bottom only!) Parchment paper is ideal here because it makes it very easy to release the cheesecake from the bottom of the pan.
To prepare the Vanilla Cheesecake
- Cream together the cream cheese and ⅔ cup sugar until smooth.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Finally blend in the vanilla extract and whipping cream.
- Fold in ¾ of the chilled cookie dough pieces. Pour over the prepared base and bake at 300 degrees F for 60 - 70 minutes. The cheesecake does not have to brown at all in order to be fully baked; the surface of the cheesecake should lose any shine when the cake is properly baked. It can still be slightly wobbly just at the center at this point.
- Remove the cake from the oven and run a sharp knife completely around the edge of the pan. This will allow for the cheesecake to shrink as it cools and hopefully not crack (Allow the cheesecake to cool thoroughly on a wire rack at room temperature. (NOT in the fridge). Refrigerate after fully cooled.
- Top with chocolate ganache and vanilla whipped cream as well as the reserved cookie dough pieces.
To prepare the Chocolate Ganache
- In a small saucepan heat the whipping cream to almost to boiling.
- Remove from heat and pour over the chocolate chips in large cup or small bowl.
- Let stand for 5 minutes, then stir until smooth. Pour evenly over the cheesecake when it is still in the pan. Return to the fridge to let the chocolate set.
To prepare the Vanilla Whipped Cream
- Beat the cream, icing sugar and vanilla together to firm peaks and use to garnish the edges of the cheesecake. If you don't have a piping bag just cut a half inch opening off the corner of a large Ziploc bag and use that to squeeze the whipped cream onto the cheesecake.
Since this is such a rich dessert, I serve it in slightly smaller slices than I normally would, which accounts for the larger number of servings incicated.
Serving Size1 grams
Amount Per Serving Calories 555Total Fat 38gSaturated Fat 23gTrans Fat 1gUnsaturated Fat 12gCholesterol 110mgSodium 221mgCarbohydrates 49gFiber 2gSugar 36gProtein 6g
The nutritional information provided is automatically calculated by third party software and is meant as a guideline only. Exact accuracy is not guaranteed. For recipes where all ingredients may not be used entirely, such as those with coatings on meats, or with sauces or dressings for example, calorie & nutritional values per serving will likely be somewhat lower than indicated.
Thursday 11th of March 2021
This recipe looks & sounds like a slice of Heaven!!! I can’t wait to try it!! Thank you Barry♥️
Sunday 5th of July 2015
could you freeze pieces of this cake after it is cooled and before the whipped cream is added on top?
Barry C. Parsons
Tuesday 7th of July 2015
I think so. Well worth a try.
Sunday 19th of April 2015
Help...the cookie dough isn't staying together..what did I do wrong?
Monday 13th of April 2015
Well for the second year in a row, this was the requested Birthday cake for my daughter. And because you were so kind to adjust the cookie dough cheesecake bars recipe into an actual cake, this is the one I made this year. Thumbs up all around! Thanks!
Barry C. Parsons
Tuesday 14th of April 2015
Always glad to be a small part of folks' celebrations. :)
Friday 3rd of April 2015
The recipe says to put the cake on a wire rack to cool, but then to put the ganache on when it is still in the tin, should it be left in the tin to cool or should it be put back around the cake?
Barry C. Parsons
Sunday 5th of April 2015
Cheesecakes should always be cooled in their spring form pans.