This super simple peaches and cream flan on a graham cracker crumb crust is a snap to make and can have almost any fruit topping but none is better than this roasted Honey Peach Compote.
Originally published Aug 2011.
I think this peaches and cream flan might be my favourite easy dessert.
Don’t be put off by the use of sour cream here. In the end, the custard is lightly sweetened and has just a little tangy aftertaste that just works so well with almost any fruit topping.
We make it with any fruit topping from strawberry, to apple to blueberry and they are all just delicious.
The inspiration for this Peaches and Cream Flan came when Spouse was heading out for a get together with the girls yesterday afternoon. She wanted a fresh peach topping for the sour cream flan that she was taking along to the party.
Unfortunately the peaches in the supermarket yesterday morning were much too hard. So, I resorted to the fallback position of roasting the chopped peaches in a shallow dish with a little cinnamon and honey.
This softens the peaches and effectively glazes them in the honey. This simple compote is delicious not only on that flan but on waffles, pancakes, biscuits or a great simple vanilla cheesecake.
I’ve included the recipe for the flan as well which has appeared in several versions here in the past.
If you can’t get enough peach recipes, like me, take a look at this Collection of 21 of our Favourite Peach Recipes from over the last decade or so on Rock Recipes.
Like this Peaches and Cream Flan recipe?
Plus you’ll see daily recipe suggestions from decadent desserts to quick delicious weekday meals too.
You can also sign up for our FREE newsletter to know immediately when we add new recipes. You’ll also get weekly suggestions for great family friendly meals and desserts too!
Rock Recipes a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. Our product recommendations are almost exclusively for those we currently use or have used in the past.
Roasting the peaches intensifies their natural flavor which pairs well with the balanced sweet creamy sour cream flan.
For the Peach Compote
- 3 pounds peaches peeled and chopped into large chunks
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- pinch salt
- juice of 1/2 lemon
For the Sour Cream Flan Crust
- 1 1/4 cups graham cracker crumbs
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 2 tbsp sugar
For the custard flan layer
- 3, eight oz tubs of sour cream, 3 cups NOT LOW FAT, see note.
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 3 tsp vanilla extract
To prepare the Roasted honey Peach Compote
- Toss all of the compote ingredients together and spread in a single layer in a glass baking dish.
- Bake at 400 degrees F for about 30-40 minutes, tossing every 10-15 minutes.
- The cooking time will vary depending on the ripeness of the peaches. Just cook them until the liquid in the baking dish reduces and becomes syrupy.
- Cool completely before using to top the finished, cooled flan.
To prepare the bottom crust
- Grease a 9 inch spring form pan, lining the bottom with parchment paper to make the flan easier to remove from the pan..
- Mix together the graham crumbs, melted butter and sugar until well combined.
- Press into the bottom of the prepared spring form pan.
To prepare the sour cream custard layer
- Whisk together the sour cream, vanilla extract, sugar and eggs until the sugar is dissolved.
- Pour onto the prepared graham crumb crust and bake at 325 degrees F for about an hour. The custard will still be quite jiggly at the center when done and may be just beginning to brown slightly at the edges, although no color at all is necessary for the flan to be properly baked.
- Allow the flan to cool to room temperature then refrigerate for a couple of hours before topping with the peach compote and serving.
For the custard part of this desert it is important to use full fat sour cream or the filling will not set. I use 18% milk fat sour cream that is sometimes sold as “restaurant style” or “extra thick”.
Serving Size1 slice
Amount Per Serving Calories 297Total Fat 17gSaturated Fat 10gUnsaturated Fat 0gCholesterol 81mgSodium 153mgCarbohydrates 33gFiber 1gSugar 28gProtein 4g