Shrimp Cakes with Lime Cilantro Aioli. Made in much the same way as our snow crab cakes, these crunchy, delicious shrimp cakes make a fantastic starter course or a terrific lunch option served with a side salad.
With Valentines Day fast approaching, Rock Recipes has again teamed up with CBC Newfoundland and Labrador, this time to create a 3 course meal for you and your sweetheart.
The recipes and recipe videos will roll out once a week leading to the big day in February.
Today we start with this delicious appetizer course inspired by Maryland crab cakes which we make here on Rock Recipes as snow crab cakes. I’ve chosen shrimp to make the crispy cakes this time, in a bit of a different and slightly more economical twist.
They are delicious served over a simple green salad where the homemade cilantro lime aioli serves not only as a tasty accompaniment to the shrimp cakes but as a dressing for the salad as well.
You can make the shrimp cake mixture earlier in the day, then just roll them in the crumb mixture and take a few minutes to fry them on the night of your dinner.
Here are the links to the other two courses in this Sweetheart Dinner:
So easy to put together.
Take a look at the video below to see how easy it is to put this tasty appetizer together.
For mobile users, if the video does not load below, please click here.
Make these delicious shrimp cakes an a two bite size and serve the aioli as a dip, for a tasty addition to any party too. They’d be equally at home On New Year’s Eve as they would for Super Bowl Sunday.
If you like these sorts of recipes, be sure to browse through this collection of 45 Great Party Food Ideas. Our best hors d’oeuvres, finger foods and delicious nibbles to make every occasion from Super Bowl Game Day to a Holiday season party the tastiest of the year.
Like this Shrimp Cakes recipe?
Plus you’ll see daily recipe suggestions from decadent desserts to quick delicious weekday meals too.
You can also sign up for our FREE newsletter to know immediately when we add new recipes. You’ll also get weekly suggestions for great family friendly meals and desserts too!
Rock Recipes a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. Our product recommendations are almost exclusively for those we currently use or have used in the past.
Shrimp Cakes with Lime Cilantro Aioli - Made in much the same way as our crab cakes, these crunchy, delicious shrimp cakes make a fantastic starter course or a terrific lunch option served with a side salad.
For the Shrimp Cakes
- 1/2 pound coarsely chopped, NOT MINCED fresh shrimp
- 1/2 cup cracker crumbs
- 2 tbsp mayonnaise
- 1/2 tsp lime zest, minced
- 1 tsp Worcestershire Sauce
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 2 tsp hot sauce, optional or pinch of chili flakes
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 tbsp chopped cilantro
- 1/3 cup panko crumbs + 1/3 cup cracker crumbs mixed
- Approximately 2/3 cup canola oil for frying
For the Lime Cilantro Aioli
- 1 clove garlic finely minced
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- 1 large egg yolk
- Pinch salt
- Pinch black pepper
- ½ tsp finely minced lime zest
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- ½ cup olive oil
- 1 tbsp chopped cilantro
To prepare the Shrimp Cakes
- Toss together the shrimp meat with the 1/2 cup cracker crumbs, mayonnaise, lime zest, Worcestershire sauce, salt, pepper, hot sauce, egg and cilantro.
- Form into 6 balls by hand. Roll in the additional cracker crumb/panko crumb mixture.
- Heat about a half inch of canola oil in a skillet or sate pan over medium-low heat. You want these to fry gently; they will burn quickly if the oil is too hot.
- Fry until golden brown on both sides. Drain on paper towels.
To prepare the Lime Cilantro Aioli
- Add the garlic, mustard, egg yolk, lime zest, salt, pepper and lime juice to a blender. Turn on the blender at medium to medium high speed.
- Pour in the olive oil very slowly in a thin, continuous stream until the aioli thickens. Pulse in the chopped cilantro at the end. Serve over the shrimp cakes.
Serving Size15 mini cakes or 6 appetizer sized cakes
Amount Per Serving Calories 134Total Fat 12gSaturated Fat 2gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 10gCholesterol 70mgSodium 246mgCarbohydrates 2gFiber 0gSugar 0gProtein 5g
The nutritional information provided is automatically calculated by third party software and is meant as a guideline only. Exact accuracy is not guaranteed. For recipes where all ingredients may not be used entirely, such as those with coatings on meats, or with sauces or dressings for example, calorie & nutritional values per serving will likely be somewhat lower than indicated.