Bacon Burger with Red Onion Jam and Roasted Garlic Herb Mayo. Crispy bacon is incorporated into the ground beef before grilling. Then it’s accompanied with melting cheddar cheese and two equally delicious homemade condiments. Maybe the most flavourful burger we’ve ever made.
This bacon burger came to be because I’d been experimenting with adding ground bacon to the ground beef in my hamburger patties.
It seemed though that I couldn’t get the flavour I was looking for by just adding ground, uncooked bacon to the burger meat. Even when I added as much as 25% bacon to the mix.
Out of frustration I bought some double smoked, dry cured, thick cut bacon. Then I cut it in small bacon-bit sized pieces and rendered most of the fat out of it before adding it to the ground beef.
I then left the burger patties in the fridge overnight to let the flavour of the bacon permeate the meat.
Eureka, it worked! The patties still had substantial beef flavour but with the smokiness of delicious bacon in every bite.
I had also made a batch of my Red Onion Jam, which is delicious on all burgers, so that went on these as well. As the final accompaniment, I roasted off some garlic and blitzed it into some mayonnaise along with a few fresh herbs from the garden.
Some fresh lettuce and tomato was all that was needed to make these perfectly scrumptious burgers. Try them if you have friends or family coming over for a weekend barbecue, they are sure to impress.
Find the recipe for my Red Onion Jam here.
Originally published August 2015. Updated August 2020.
Like this Bacon Burger with Red Onion Jam recipe?
Plus you’ll see daily recipe suggestions from decadent desserts to quick delicious weekday meals too.
You can also sign up for our FREE newsletter to know immediately when we add new recipes. You’ll also get weekly suggestions for great family friendly meals and desserts too!
Rock Recipes a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. Our product recommendations are almost exclusively for those we currently use or have used in the past.
Bacon Burger with Red Onion Jam and Roasted Garlic Herb Mayo - crispy bacon is incorporated into the ground beef before grilling, then accompanied with two equally delicious homemade condiments in what may be the most flavorful burger we've ever made.
For the burger patties.
- 1 1/4 pounds medium to lean ground beef
- 8 slices thick cut smoked bacon
For the Roasted Garlic Mayo
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 cloves small head of roasted garlic, about 6
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh herbs (use any you like, I used a little rosemary, chives and oregano because that is what I had on hand.)
- pinch salt and pepper
You will also need
To prepare the burger patties
- Cut the bacon slices into a fine dice and cook until most of the pfat has been rendered out and the bacon begins to crisp.
- Drain off the fat and cool the cooked bacon bits to room temperature.
- When cool, mix the bacon bits with the ground beef and form into 4 patties about 4 1/2 inches wide.
- You can leave the patties in the fridge overnight if you like but it's good to make them at least a couple of hours beforehand, to let the flavor of the bacon permeate the meat.
To prepare the Roasted Garlic and Herb Mayo
- Simply pulse all of the ingredients together in a blender until the roasted garlic has been fully incorporated and the mayo is smooth.
To make the burgers
- Grill the burger patties until fully cooked, about 3-4 minutes per side. Add the sliced cheese when you flip the burgers so that it has time to melt.
- Add the red onion jam to the bottom half of the bun before adding the burger pattie. Top with lettuce and tomato. Spread the mayo on the top bun and serve.
Nutritional info is for the bacon burger patties only.
Serving Size1 grams
Amount Per Serving Calories 434Total Fat 25gSaturated Fat 9gTrans Fat 1gUnsaturated Fat 13gCholesterol 149mgSodium 511mgCarbohydrates 0gFiber 0gSugar 0gProtein 48g
The nutritional information provided is automatically calculated by third party software and is meant as a guideline only. Exact accuracy is not guaranteed. For recipes where all ingredients may not be used entirely, such as those with coatings on meats, or with sauces or dressings for example, calorie & nutritional values per serving will likely be somewhat lower than indicated.