Old Fashioned Apple Upside Down Cake. A decades old family recipe that uses very simple ingredients to create a comfort food dessert that everyone will love.
When I say old fashioned, that’s exactly what I mean. Made from scratch using simple ingredients just like your grandmother would have made. I’ve been making this one for decades.
Especially at this time of year, this apple upside down cake is one of those recipes that you make when “there’s nothing in the house”. You likely have all the ingredients on hand to whip this one up at any time.
I like to serve this one warm from the oven with a scoop of vanilla bean or even caramel swirl ice cream or a dollop of fresh whipped cream. Delicious for a fall Sunday dinner dessert or at any time of year.
The only improvement I would make is to add a big scoop of vanilla ice cream!
Originally published Jan 30, 2008
Love homemade cakes from scratch? We’ve put together a collection of the 25 Most Baked Cakes of the last 12 years on Rock Recipes. You are sure to find several to love.
Originally published September 2016.
Like this Apple Upside Down Cake recipe?
Find dozens of other recipes like this in our Cakes and Pies Category and even more sweet treats in our Desserts Category.
It’s easy to keep up with the latest home style cooking & baking ideas from Rock Recipes. Be sure to follow Rock Recipes Facebook Page and follow us on Instagram.
Plus you’ll see daily recipe suggestions from decadent desserts to quick delicious weekday meals too.
You can also sign up for our FREE newsletter to know immediately when we add new recipes. You’ll also get weekly suggestions for great family friendly meals and desserts too!
Rock Recipes a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. Our product recommendations are almost exclusively for those we currently use or have used in the past.
Old Fashioned Apple Upside Down Cake
Old Fashioned Apple Upside Down Cake - a decades old family recipe that uses very simple ingredients to create a comfort food dessert that everyone will love; a classic Autumn dessert that's only improved by a big scoop of vanilla ice cream.
For the Apple Layer
- 6 apples peeled, cored and cut into thick wedges
- 1/3 cup butter
- 2/3 cup white sugar, you can use light brown sugar if you prefer
- 3 tbsp water
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
For the Cake Layer
- ½ cup butter
- ¾ cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1-2 tsp vanilla extract (I use 2)
- 2 cups flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 cup milk
To Prepare the Apple Layer
- Melt the 1/3 cup butter in a large non-stick sauté pan.
- Add the sugar, water and cinnamon. Cook over medium heat until the mixture gets foamy, then add the apples.
- Cook the apples in the cinnamon and sugar syrup just until they begin to soften.
- Transfer the apple slices to the prepared pan and pour the syrup from the pan over them.
To Prepare the Cake Batter
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9x9 inch baking pan or a 10 inch round cake pan well.
- Cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Beat in the vanilla extract.
- Sift together the flour and baking powder.
- Add the dry ingredients alternately with the milk, beginning and ending with the dry ingredients. In general, I add the dry ingredients in 3 portions and the milk in 2 additions.
- Dollop the batter by heaping tablespoonfuls all over the surface of the apple layer and then spread out evenly to the edges of the pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for about 40 to 45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- The toothpick test is the best way to ensure that this cake is fully baked.
Serving Size12 Servings
Amount Per Serving Calories 277Saturated Fat 8gCholesterol 63mgSodium 133mgCarbohydrates 37gFiber 2gSugar 34gProtein 1g
FOODS FROM THE GREAT DEPRESSION | TULSAGE.wordpress.com
Friday 2nd of December 2022
[…] Apple Upside Down Cake […]
17 recettes de pommes rouges délicieuses du dîner au dessert - Cakes Paradise
Thursday 15th of September 2022
[…] 14. Gâteau renversé aux pommes à l’ancienne […]
Sunday 24th of July 2022
Wish I could post a photo here but I made a cupcake version of this and it came out lovely! My first time making a cake batter from scratch and it was beautiful.
Monday 16th of May 2022
We need at least 36 desserts 4 days a week. could I make mini cakes in a muffin pan?
Monday 10th of January 2022
I just make it it's turn out amazing ! Thank you for recepy 😊