Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Ice Cream – A delicious homemade vanilla ice cream, stuffed with nuggets of homemade, egg-free cookie dough. An all time classic favourite.
This Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Ice Cream recipe is one you might say is from the lost files of Rock Recipes. I actually made this particular batch shown in the photo late last summer and forgot to post it.
This does sometimes happens when I decide to photograph everything I make in the kitchen, either as a new recipe or to update old photos on this website. If it’s a very busy week, sometimes a few ideas get lost in the shuffle…
But, since we are at the beginning of summer and with a long ice cream season ahead, maybe it was perfect timing after all!
The success of our Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Cheesecake Bars and Cookie Dough Cheesecake was what inspired a homemade version of this ice cream. The dough recipe was a very successful and tasty version of cookie dough without adding raw eggs, which some people are concerned about.
My kids especially love cookie dough ice cream, so this homemade version was pretty inevitable considering that they would be asking for homemade ice cream now that the weather has warmed up.
It was then that I discovered that I hadn’t posted the recipe. But no time like the present to re-discover and enjoy this ice cream all over again. 😉
Like this Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Ice Cream recipe?
You’re sure to find many other delicious ideas in our Dessert Category.
It’s easy to keep up with the latest home style cooking & baking ideas from Rock Recipes. Be sure to follow Rock Recipes Facebook Page and follow us on Instagram. Plus you’ll see daily recipe suggestions from decadent desserts to quick delicious weekday meals too.
You may also like to try our super creamy Clotted Cream Ice Cream:
You can also sign up for our FREE newsletter to know immediately when new recipes are added. You’ll get weekly suggestions for great family friendly meals and desserts too!
Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Ice Cream - A delicious homemade vanilla ice cream, stuffed with nuggets of homemade, egg-free cookie dough. An all time classic favourite.
For the ice cream
- 1 cup sugar
- 6 egg yolks
- 2 cups whipping cream, 35% milk fat
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 tbsp pure vanilla extract
For the cookie dough
- ⅓ cup butter
- ¼ cup white sugar
- ¼ cup dark brown sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ¾ cup flour
- pinch salt
- ⅔ cup chocolate chips
To prepare the ice cream
- Combine the milk and cream and heat in the microwave (or on top of the stove over medium heat) to scalding but not boiling.
- In a medium sized saucepan whisk together the egg yolks and sugar very well for about 3 minutes until the mixture is pale and fluffy.
- Whisking constantly, add about a cup of the scaled milk to the egg yolk mixture. This tempers the egg yolks so that they do not cook and scramble. Whisk in about another cup and make sure it is well blended with the egg yolk mixture. Finally add the remaining scaled milk and cream and make sure it is well blended in.
- Place the saucepan over medium heat and stir constantly but slowly for about 5 minutes until the mixture slightly thickens. At this point you should be able to dip the wooden spoon in the custard and draw a distinct line with your finger on the back of the wooden spoon. Do not boil or mixture may curdle.
- Chill the custard very well for several hours or overnight.
- When completely chilled, stir the custard well and pour into your ice cream maker. Process for 20- 30 minutes until the ice cream becomes as thick as possible.
- Transfer the ice cream quickly to a chilled metal or glass bowl and very quickly fold in the nuggets of cookie dough.
- Place in an airtight container and freeze in the coldest part of your refrigerator freezer or deep freezer for several hours or preferably overnight before serving.
- I like to fold the ice cream at least a couple of times every couple of hours for the first few hours to make sure all of the cookie dough pieces do not settle to the bottom of the container and to make sure they get evenly distributed throughout the ice cream.
To prepare the cookie dough nuggets
- Cream together the butter, white sugar, brown sugar and vanilla extract very well.
- Mix together the flour and salt and add to the creamed mixture.
- Fold in just until a dough forms then mix in the chocolate chips.
- Roll the dough in small nuggets about the size of the top of your pinky finger. Place them on a parchment lined cookie sheet and pop them into the freezer to freeze completely before folding them through the ice cream.
Rock Recipes a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. Our product recommendations are almost exclusively for those we currently use or have used in the past.
Amount Per Serving Calories 417Total Fat 26gSaturated Fat 16gTrans Fat 1gUnsaturated Fat 9gCholesterol 156mgSodium 97mgCarbohydrates 41gFiber 1gSugar 33gProtein 6g
The nutritional information provided is automatically calculated by third party software and is meant as a guideline only. Exact accuracy is not guaranteed. For recipes where all ingredients may not be used entirely, such as those with coatings on meats, or with sauces or dressings for example, calorie & nutritional values per serving will likely be somewhat lower than indicated.