These Chocolate Walnut Butter Tart Bars are so easy to make and combine the flavour of butter tarts with crunchy walnuts and chocolate chips. YUM!
One of my favourite baked goodies is a sweet, sticky, caramel-y, delicious butter tart and these butter tart bars are very reminiscent of this Canadian classic pastry.
This recipe has the background taste of a legendarily good Canadian butter tart, with the added crunch of toasty walnuts and luscious chocolate. Another perfect recipe for the Holiday freezer or at any time of the year.
If you’d like to try our very popular recipe for Classic Canadian Butter tarts, be sure to check it out here.
Like this Chocolate Walnut Butter Tart Bars recipe?
Plus you’ll see daily recipe suggestions from decadent desserts to quick delicious weekday meals too.
You can also sign up for our FREE newsletter to know immediately when we add new recipes. You’ll also get weekly suggestions for great family friendly meals and desserts too!
Rock Recipes a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. Our product recommendations are almost exclusively for those we currently use or have used in the past.
These Chocolate Walnut Butter Tart Bars are so easy to make and combine the flavor of butter tarts with crunchy walnuts and chocolate chips. YUM!
For the bottom layer
- 1 cup flour
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup salted butter
For the top layer
- 1½ cups brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- ¾ cup coarsely chopped walnuts
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- pinch salt
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
To make the bottom layer
- Using your hands, rub together the ingredients for the bottom layer until well blended and crumbly.
- Press evenly into the bottom of an 8 or 9 inch square pan that has been lightly greased and lined with parchment paper. Bake for 15 minutes before pouring on the topping.
To make the top layer
- Mix together all the ingredients for the top layer well and pour over baked base.
- Reduce oven to 325 degrees F and return to the oven for 20-25 minutes.
- Allow to cool completely before cutting. These will cut best after they have been refrigerated.
I cut square pans of cookie bars in 4 rows by 6 rows to yield 2 dozen.
Serving Size1 cookie bar
Amount Per Serving Calories 170Total Fat 9gSaturated Fat 4gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 4gCholesterol 26mgSodium 57mgCarbohydrates 22gFiber 1gSugar 17gProtein 2g
The nutritional information provided is automatically calculated by third party software and is meant as a guideline only. Exact accuracy is not guaranteed. For recipes where all ingredients may not be used entirely, such as those with coatings on meats, or with sauces or dressings for example, calorie & nutritional values per serving will likely be somewhat lower than indicated.