Chewy Coconut Lime Sugar Cookies. A fantastically flavourful and utterly addictive version of sugar cookies that are a sure fire hit wherever you might take them.
The kids and I were treated to the enticing scent of these great chewy coconut lime sugar cookies baking as we arrived home from school the other day. Spouse had been experimenting with a variation on the chewy sugar cookie recipe that has become a standard at our house.
Judging by the number that have been devoured in the past 2 days, I’d say the experiment was a success. The secret to all chewy cookie recipes is not to over bake them. Over baking causes the sugars in the cookie to crystallize and get hard.
Many chewy cookie recipes should actually be under-baked a minute or so and many can fall slightly as they cool. That is perfectly okay.
Variances in actual oven temperatures and the type of metal used in making the cookie sheets can also have a big impact on baking time. I always prefer aluminum baking sheets lined with parchment paper.
When trying any new cookie recipe, bake only a few at a time as a test batch until you get the time right for your oven and baking pans. Then be sure to make a note on the recipe of the pans you used and the exact baking time.
If you liked this recipe, be sure to try these classic Auntie Crae’s Ginger Sugar Cookies.
Originally published March 2020. Updated may 2020.
Like this Coconut Lime Sugar Cookies recipe?
If you like these coconut lime sugar cookies you can also find over 200 tried and tested cookie recipes please visit our Cookies Collection!
Plus you’ll see daily recipe suggestions from decadent desserts to quick delicious weekday meals too.
You can also sign up for our FREE newsletter to know immediately when we add new recipes. You’ll also get weekly suggestions for great family friendly meals and desserts too!
Rock Recipes a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. Our product recommendations are almost exclusively for those we currently use or have used in the past.
Chewy Coconut Lime Sugar Cookies - a fantastically flavourful and utterly addictive version of sugar cookies that are a sure fire hit wherever you might take them.
- 2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cups white sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Zest of one large lime, finely minced
- 3 tbsp lime juice
- ½ cup unsweetened toasted coconut
- 1/2 cup sugar for rolling cookies
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- In a small bowl, stir together flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- Using a mixer, beat together the butter and sugar until smooth and very fluffy.
- Beat in egg, vanilla extract, lime juice and lime zest.
- Gradually blend in the dry ingredients and toasted coconut.
- Roll rounded teaspoonfuls of dough into balls, and roll in sugar. Place on lined cookie sheets about 1 1/2 inches apart. Press down lightly with the bottom of a drinking glass to flatten the balls slightly.
- Bake 10 minutes in the preheated oven, or until lightly browned at the bottom edges. (Depending on their size and the pans you are using, these could take longer. Darker pans tend to bake faster. Aluminum bakeware may take about 12-13 minutes. They can be quite pale on top and still be baked, just check that the bottoms are golden brown. As always I recommend baking just 2 or 3 on the sheet first as a test, to get the right time for your oven and bakeware.)
- Let stand on cookie sheet two minutes before removing to cool on wire racks.
TO MAKE TOASTED COCONUT - I just sprinkle the coconut on a cookie sheet and bake at 350 degrees F until it starts to brown. Toss it at least once during the baking time. Watch it carefully because it can burn easily if left unattended. Shouldn’t take more than a few minutes.
Serving Size1 cookie
Amount Per Serving Calories 200Total Fat 9gSaturated Fat 6gUnsaturated Fat 0gCholesterol 27mgSodium 165mgCarbohydrates 28gFiber 1gSugar 17gProtein 2g