Easy Chicken Korma. A simplified version of this popular mild curry dish. Low on the heat side but high on the flavour side.
Here’s an easy version of the classic Indian take-out dish. Although I am one, Spouse is not a big fan of the spicier hot curry dishes.
She prefers a much milder version and chicken Korma with its delicately spiced flavours without a lot of heat is her favourite.
It is a curry dish that we often make in addition to other Indian dishes to please everyone at the table. As with all curry recipes, you can always make it your own by adjusting any of the spices to suit your taste.
Here I’ve grilled the chicken on the backyard gas grill for extra flavour. But you can also broil or pan sear it instead before adding it to the curry to simmer.
I like to use boneless skinless chicken thighs because for my taste, they have much more flavour than chicken breast meat.
You can of course, use boneless skinless chicken breasts instead. Careful though, they will only need to simmer in the sauce for about half the time that chicken thighs do.
Nutty flavour is key
For me, the flavour from ground nuts really makes the dish in a good korma. I love the toasted ground cashews in this recipe but you could easily use ground, unsalted, toasted almonds or even hazelnuts as well.
No matter what nuts I use, I always like to garnish the plate with toasted cashews anyway. That’s just because they are my favourite and they add great flavour and crunch to the dish.
We usually serve korma with steamed jasmine rice and fresh naan. Also, as a kind of shortcut naan, we now often serve our super easy 2 or 3 ingredient Yogurt Flatbreads as well.
For another family favourite curry, try our Easy Butter Chicken recipe too.
Originally published June 2013. Updated May 2020.
Like this Chicken Korma recipe?
You’ll find hundreds of other great ideas in our Quick & Easy Dinners Category and even more in our Chicken Recipes Category.
It’s easy to keep up with the latest home style cooking & baking ideas from Rock Recipes. Be sure to follow Rock Recipes Facebook Page and follow us on Instagram.
Plus you’ll see daily recipe suggestions from decadent desserts to quick delicious weekday meals too.
You can also sign up for our FREE newsletter to know immediately when we add new recipes. You’ll also get weekly suggestions for great family friendly meals and desserts too!
Rock Recipes a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. Our product recommendations are almost exclusively for those we currently use or have used in the past.
Easy Chicken Korma
Easy Chicken Korma - a simplified version of this popular mild curry dish. Low on the heat side but high on the flavour side.
To marinate the chicken
- 3 lbs boneless skinless chicken thighs, or breasts, see note above
- 2 tsp mild yellow curry powder
- 2 tbsp garam masala
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
For the sauce
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 white onions
- 6 cloves garlic
- 1/4 cup water
- 3 tbsp olive oil, you can use clarified butter or ghee if you prefer
- 4 large tomatoes, diced small
- 2 tbsp freshly grated ginger root
- 1/2 cup ground toasted cashews
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1 1/2 cups plain low-fat yogurt
- 1/2 small red chili, minced (more or less to taste)
- 2 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground cardamom
- 4 tsp mild yellow curry powder
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp ground coriander seed
- 1/2 tsp ground cloves
- pinch saffron, optional
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- Drizzle the chicken with the 3 tbsp olive oil and sprinkle on the spices, salt and pepper. Massage into the meat and cover, leaving to marinate for at least a couple of hours or overnight.
- Grill the chicken until fully cooked but not dried out. Set aside.
- For the sauce begin by pureeing together the onions garlic and water.
- In a large saucepan heat the olive oil or ghee.
- Add the pureed onion mixture and cook over medium heat for a few minutes stirring constantly. Add all of the remaining ingredients.
- Simmer slowly for about 30-40 minutes.
- Add the chicken and simmer for an additional 10-15 minutes. (At this point you can also add canned rinsed chickpeas and vegetables like bell peppers, cauliflower, etc if you like)
- Serve with steamed jasmine rice and/or naan. Garnish with chopped toasted cashews or almonds if you like.
Serving Size1 serving
Amount Per Serving Calories 479Total Fat 29gSaturated Fat 10gUnsaturated Fat 0gCholesterol 164mgSodium 617mgCarbohydrates 15gFiber 3gSugar 7gProtein 41g
Easy And Yummy Chicken Recipes - Baked - Instant Pot - Smoked Chicken Recipes | Yumm Recipes
Saturday 28th of November 2020
[…] Easy And Quick To Make Chicken Korma Meal […]
Monday 25th of May 2020
Do you toast cashews the same way as pecans, for example? I was given some raw ones, not sure how to use them, this might be a good one!