Low Fat Turkey Sausage and Brown Rice. As a terrific one pot wonder, weekday meal, this recipe ticks all the right boxes. It’s quick, easy, nutritious, delicious & economical.
As a terrific weekday meal, this recipe ticks all the right boxes. It is quick, easy, nutritious, delicious and economical.
You can use whatever sausage you like in this incredibly tasty recipe. This time we chose a low fat turkey Italian variety that added lots of flavor to this dish.
It is also fantastic with Chorizo sausage if you can find it. The recipe is little more than stir frying the sausage, chopping the vegetables and throwing all the ingredients in one pot to simmer for 15-20 minutes until the rice is cooked.
The spices in this dish can easily be adjusted to taste. Please feel free to cut the spice amounts down to suit your taste, if you like.
Or ramp up the heat if that’s how you like it. It’s one of the tastiest no-fuss meals you will have this week for sure.
Originally Published February, 2013. Updated May, 2020
Like this Turkey Sausage and Brown Rice recipe?
Plus you’ll see daily recipe suggestions from decadent desserts to quick delicious weekday meals too.
You can also sign up for our FREE newsletter to know immediately when we add new recipes. You’ll also get weekly suggestions for great family friendly meals and desserts too!
Rock Recipes a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. Our product recommendations are almost exclusively for those we currently use or have used in the past.
- 1 lb low fat turkey sausage meat
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 3 cloves minced garlic
- 1 medium red onion
- 2 finely chopped celery stalks
- 1 finely diced carrot
- 1 bell pepper diced
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper.
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 1/2 tbsp chili
- 2 tbsp smoked paprika
- 1 tbsp chipotle powder
- 3 cups canned diced tomatoes
- 1 tbsp scotch bonnet sauce or hot sauce, optional
- 3 cups low sodium vegetable or chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cups brown rice
- In a covered wok or a dutch oven brown the sausage in the olive oil.
- Add the garlic and onions and stir fry for a couple of minutes until the onions begin to soften. Add all of the other ingredients except for the rice and bring to a boil.
- Finally, add the rice and turn the heat down to a slow simmer. Cover and cook for 15-20 minutes until the rice is tender.
- Serve with a sprinkle of chopped fresh cilantro.
Serving Size1 serving
Amount Per Serving Calories 605Total Fat 20gSaturated Fat 4gUnsaturated Fat 0gCholesterol 85mgSodium 1414mgCarbohydrates 75gFiber 8gSugar 9gProtein 33g