No need to spend all day slow cooking chicken cacciatore, this easy shortcut recipe takes only one hour to bring all the traditional flavour to the table.
Cacciatore is traditionally braised chicken, cooked in a spicy tomato sauce. While I do like the flavours here, I’m not always a fan of braising chicken.
Especially so when mixing white and dark pieces together. The dark meat will braise well while the breast pieces are almost always too dry.
Although the chicken pieces are also traditionally browned before braising, I am also not a fan of chicken skin that softens and gets a bit slimy during the slow simmering process.
The same goes for wings that are simmered in sauce. You will find plenty of chicken wing recipes here on Rock recipes but they are always baked or fried to crisp the skin.
I just don’t enjoy them any other way.
In this case I deconstructed the cacciatore, making the chicken and sauce separately. The chicken is quickly dredged in simply seasoned flour and herbs or just a little garlic powder if you prefer. It’s then quickly baked at high heat to crisp the skin.
The sauce and rice are easily prepared in the time the chicken is in the oven, making this flavourful family meal easily able to be accomplished in only an hour.
Like this chicken cacciatore recipe?
You’ll find hundreds of other great ideas in our Quick & Easy Dinners Category and even more in our Chicken Recipes Category.
It’s easy to keep up with the latest home style cooking & baking ideas from Rock Recipes. Be sure to follow Rock Recipes Facebook Page and follow us on Instagram. Plus you’ll see daily recipe suggestions from decadent desserts to quick delicious weekday meals too.
Looking for more chicken dinner ideas. Be sure to check out this collection of our Most Popular Chicken Recipes of the last decade.
You can also sign up for our FREE newsletter to know immediately when we add new recipes. You’ll also get weekly suggestions for great family friendly meals and desserts too!
One Hour Shortcut Chicken Cacciatore
One Hour Shortcut Chicken Cacciatore - a shortcut version of the classic chicken dish, that bakes the chicken separately to keep it juicy and crispy. A fantastic family meal in only an hour!
- 3 pounds pounds chicken pieces, bone in, skin on
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 tsp dry thyme
- 1/2 tsp dry oregano
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp garlic powder , (optional)
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cuo red onion, chopped
- 4 cups ccanned tomatoes, pureed
- 1/2 cup white wine, or chicken stock
- 1/2 tsp chili flakes, more or less to taste
- 1 cup red or green bell pepper, diced
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp dry thyme
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 carrot, grated
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- a couple pinches salt, to season
- 1/2 cup kalamata olives, pitted
- 1 cup crimini mushrooms, or button mushrooms, sliced (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Mix together the flour, 1/2 tsp of thyme, 1/2 tsp oregano, 1/2 tsp salt. 1/2 tsp pepper & 1 tsp garlic powder. Transfer to a large Ziploc bag and add the chicken pieces, coating them well in the flour dredge.
- Place the chicken pieces on a lightly oiled baking sheet and spray the tops of the pieces with a little more oil, using a spray bottle.
- Bake for about 45-50 minutes or until the skin is well browned and the internal temperature of the largest pieces reaches 170 degrees F.
- While the chicken in in the oven, prepare the sauce. Begin by softening the onions and garlic in the 3 tbsp olive oil.
- Add the tomatoes, wine, chili flakes, bell peppers, brown sugar, thyme, oregano, grated carrot, balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper. Simmer slowly while the chicken cooks.
- In the last 20-25 minutes of cooking time, slowly simmer 1 1/2 cups basmati rice in 3 cups of salted water or low sodium chicken stock.
- While the rice is cooking add the mushrooms and olives to the pot of sauce.
- Serve the chicken and sauce over the rice.
The prep time and cook time overlap here. The sauce can be made as the chicken bakes so the total time should really be about the 60 minutes or so.
Amount Per Serving Calories 591Saturated Fat 7gCholesterol 115mgSodium 705mgCarbohydrates 37gFiber 5gSugar 13gProtein 34g
The nutritional information provided is automatically calculated by third party software and is meant as a guideline only. Exact accuracy is not guaranteed. For recipes where all ingredients may not be used entirely, such as those with coatings on meats, or with sauces or dressings for example, calorie & nutritional values per serving will likely be somewhat lower than indicated.
Rock Recipes a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. Our product recommendations are almost exclusively for those we currently use or have used in the past.