White Velvet Cake. Developed from an outstanding Red Velvet Cake recipe, this white cake is a perfectly moist and tender crumbed cake that would make an ideal birthday cake.
Many people search for the perfect white cake and this White Velvet Cake is a cousin to our incredibly popular Red Velvet Cake recipe. As a reader recently pointed out, many people are sensitive to artificial colours.
A great buttermilk cake without the added dye is not only a great idea but a completely delicious one too. I’ve been wanting to develop a great white cake recipe anyway.
I always think a bakery bought birthday cake when I think of white cake, probably with colourful candy sprinkles on top. Any kid, young or old would love to have this one as their next birthday cake.
This turned out to be an outstandingly moist white cake recipe and was perfectly paired with sweet fluffy marshmallow frosting. It is really a cooked meringue frosting that my kids absolutely love.
I’ve frosted this cake with Marshmallow Frosting but any good vanilla frosting is great on this cake. Find the frosting recipe with our Black and White Cake.
As with many of my baking experiments, I brought this one to the office, where I was the Pied Piper of gateau; people literally followed me down the hall to our break room as I carried it in. I think this one now holds the office record for devouring speed. It disappeared in mere minutes.
Click the photo below for our other velvet cake recipes, Red Velvet, Orange Velvet and Lemon Velvet.
Like this White Velvet Cake recipe?
It’s easy to keep up with the latest home style cooking & baking ideas from Rock Recipes. Be sure to follow Rock Recipes Facebook Page and follow us on Instagram. Plus you’ll see daily recipe suggestions from decadent desserts to quick delicious weekday meals too.
You can also sign up for our FREE newsletter to know immediately when we add new recipes. You’ll also get weekly suggestions for great family friendly meals and desserts too!
If you like this recipe be sure to check out our incredibly popular recipe for Yellow Cake too. It gets rave reviews every time. People say it’s the best homemade yellow cake they’ve ever tried. Check out the comments on the recipe post.
- 1 1/4 cups sifted all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups sifted cake flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 2/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1/3 cup vegetable shortening at room temperature
- 3 tablespoons good quality vanilla extract, if you want pure white use clear vanilla extract
- 3 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
- Sift together both flours, baking soda, baking powder, salt and sugar. Set aside.
- Grease and flour 2 nine inch round cake pans and line the bottom with 2 circles of parchment paper.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer beat together the vegetable oil, shortening and vanilla. Beat well at high speed with whisk attachment until light and fluffy
- Beat the eggs in one at a time.
- Fold in the dry ingredients alternately with the buttermilk.
- I always add dry ingredients in three divisions and liquid ingredients in 2 divisions. It is very important to begin and end the additions with the dry ingredients. Do not over mix the batter. As soon as it has no lumps in the batter, pour into the two prepared 9 inch cake pans.
- Bake at 325 degrees F for 30-35 minutes or until a wooden toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Allow the cake to cool in the pans for 10 minutes before turning out onto wire racks to cool completely.
- I've frosted this cake with Marshmallow Frosting but any good vanilla frosting is great on this cake. Find the frosting recipe with our Black and White Cake.
The nutritional information provided is automatically calculated by third party software and is meant as a guideline only. Exact accuracy is not guaranteed. For recipes where all ingredients may not be used entirely, such as those with coatings on meats, or with sauces or dressings for example, calorie & nutritional values per serving will likely be somewhat lower than indicated.
Amount Per Serving Calories 299 Saturated Fat 9g Cholesterol 33mg Sodium 216mg Carbohydrates 36g Sugar 20g Protein 4g
Rock Recipes a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. Our product recommendations are almost exclusively for those we currently use or have used in the past.