Parmesan Fennel Mini Quiche with Spicy Quick Tomato Compote. Serve these up as a fantastic brunch, tasty appetizer, or as delicious party food your guests will love!
Originally published August 2011.
It’s a windy, rainy mess here in St. John’s this morning with temperatures more fitting to October than August.
The 35th annual Newfoundland and Labrador Folk Festival has been rained out in Bannerman Park, disappointing many locals and tourists alike; in short a thoroughly miserable day.
We have friends dropping by later this evening for sips n’ nibbles so at least there’s something to look forward to today.
Meanwhile the morning has been at least partially redeemed by these beautiful and delicious Parmesan Fennel Mini Quiches for brunch which I served with some warm spicy, garlicky tomato compote.
I think this would be a great vegetarian lunch or even a wonderful appetizer to wake up the taste buds at your next dinner party.
Need more appetizer and party food ideas?
Be sure to check out this incredible collection with dozens of recipe ideas!
Like this Parmesan Fennel Mini Quiche recipe?
Plus you’ll see daily recipe suggestions from decadent desserts to quick delicious weekday meals too.
You can also sign up for our FREE newsletter to know immediately when we add new recipes. You’ll also get weekly suggestions for great family friendly meals and desserts too!
Rock Recipes a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. Our product recommendations are almost exclusively for those we currently use or have used in the past.
Parmesan Fennel Mini Quiche with Spicy Quick Tomato Compote. Serve these up as a fantastic brunch or as delicious party food your guests will love!
For the Quiches
- 1 small bulb fennel, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- salt and pepper to season
- 1 pkg (2 sheets) frozen puff pastry
- 3 oz Parmesan cheese (finely grated)
- 9 large eggs
- 2/3 cup whipping cream
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp coarsely ground black pepper
For the Spicy Quick tomato Compote
- 4 cloves minced garlic
- 6 tbsp olive oil
- 8 large ripe tomatoes diced
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 6 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 tsp crushed chili sauce
- salt and pepper to season
To prepare the quiches
- To a saute pan, add the fennel, garlic olive oil, salt and pepper.
- Saute all together over medium heat until the fennel is softened but not mushy.Set aside to cool.
- Roll out the puff pastry slightly and cut it into 4 inch squares.
- Place the squares into lightly greased muffin tins, making sure the pastry is pushed into the corners.
- Chill in the refrigerator for a few minutes.
- Divide the sauteed fennel evenly between the muffin tins.
- Divide the cheese evenly between the muffin tins, sprinkling it over the fennel.
- Whisk together the eggs, cream, salt and pepper.
- Pour the egg mixture over the fennel and cheese in the muffin tins.
- Bake at 400 degrees F for 10 minutes, reduce the heat to 350 degrees F and bake for an additional 7-10 minutes or until the eggs have just set.
- Allow to rest for 5 minutes before removing from the pans. Serve with Spicy Quick tomato Compote.
To prepare the tomato compote.
- Saute the garlic in the oil over medium heat for just a minute.
- Add the tomatoes, brown sugar, chili sauce, salt, pepper.
- Continue to cook until the tomatoes soften and the compote reduces to a jam-like consistency.
- Add the balsamic vinegar in the final minute or two of cooking before serving.