Perfect Chocolate Cupcakes with Chocolate Buttercream Frosting. A quick & easy, one bowl, mix & bake chocolate cake recipe that produces moist, tender cupcakes crowned with the smoothest chocolate frosting.
Perfect chocolate cupcakes for me are rich, moist, cocoa based chocolate scratch cake recipe cupcakes. They are topped with a simple butter based frosting that incorporates melted chocolate in the recipe for a silky, creamy icing on these perfect little treats.
Chocolate cupcakes are an ideal take-along to many occasions. I can’t imagine any gathering of family or friends at which they would not be welcomed!
If you liked these cupcakes, you should check out our Black and White Cake, which is the same cake recipe but with kid approved marshmallow frosting. Black and White cupcakes wouldn’t be a bad idea either but a half batch of the frosting should suffice.
Like this Perfect Chocolate Cupcakes recipe?
You’ll find hundreds of other sweet ideas in our Cakes & Pies Category and even more in our Desserts Category.
It’s easy to keep up with the latest home style cooking & baking ideas from Rock Recipes. Be sure to follow Rock Recipes Facebook Page and follow us on Instagram.
Plus you’ll see daily recipe suggestions from decadent desserts to quick delicious weekday meals too.
You can also sign up for our FREE newsletter to know immediately when we add new recipes. You’ll also get weekly suggestions for great family friendly meals and desserts too!
Rock Recipes a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. Our product recommendations are almost exclusively for those we currently use or have used in the past.
Perfect Chocolate Cupcakes with Chocolate Buttercream Frosting - a quick & easy, one bowl, mix & bake chocolate cake recipe that produces moist, tender cupcakes crowned with the smoothest chocolate frosting.
For the Chocolate Cake
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 3/4 cup cocoa
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup soured milk, add 1 tbsp lemon juice or vinegar to the milk
- 1 cup brewed black coffee, or one tsp instant coffee in 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
For the Chocolate Buttercream Frosting
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 4 cups icing sugar, powdered sugar
- 4 tbsp cocoa
- 1 cup butter
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 -6 tbsp milk
Tp prepare the Chocolate Cake
- Combine all ingredients in a mixing bowl and beat with electric mixer for 2 minutes.
- Pour batter into paper lined muffin tins filling about 2/3 to 3/4 full.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 15-18 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean. Cool completely.
To prepare the Chocolate Buttercream Frosting
- Melt the chocolate chips in a double boiler and let cool back to almost room temperature.
- Mix the butter, cocoa and icing sugar together until the butter is broken up well into small pieces and distributed throughout the sugar. It may still look powdery at this point.
- Add the melted chocolate chips, vanilla extract and 3 tbsp milk.
- Beat together well until smooth, fluffy and creamy. You can add more milk if you want a softer textured frosting or a little more icing sugar if you want a stiffer frosting.
- Spread on cooled cupcakes and serve.
Serving Size1 grams
Amount Per Serving Calories 489Total Fat 21gSaturated Fat 9gTrans Fat 1gUnsaturated Fat 10gCholesterol 50mgSodium 290mgCarbohydrates 73gFiber 2gSugar 57gProtein 4g
The nutritional information provided is automatically calculated by third party software and is meant as a guideline only. Exact accuracy is not guaranteed. For recipes where all ingredients may not be used entirely, such as those with coatings on meats, or with sauces or dressings for example, calorie & nutritional values per serving will likely be somewhat lower than indicated.