Raspberry Chocolate Bread Pudding. If you think you don’t like old fashioned bread pudding, think again! It does not get more luxuriously decadent than this version.
Originally published October 2009. Updated March 2020.
This is a real comfort food dessert with a whole lot of decadence thrown in. A vanilla custard based creamy bread pudding has pops of fresh raspberries baked right in, then drizzled with warm, indulgent chocolate ganache sauce.
Sounds terrible right? 😉
Very good bread pudding is a family favorite at our house and this one hit all the right marks.
Bread pudding is Spouses’s absolute favorite dessert. Noah and I love raspberries. Olivia doesn’t turn down anything chocolate.
So there was definitely something for everyone in this version of a very simple, classic dessert.
The best bread.
I’ve used some delicious Brioche from Georgetown Bakery here which adds even more richness. You can however use practically any kind of bread in this recipe.
If you want to go all out you can even try my version of Brioche. I’d bake this as a single loaf if I was going to use it. There’s no point is forming rolls, unless of course you want a couple of extra with butter and jam for breakfast the next morning.
I first thought of adding pieces of good quality chocolate along with the raspberries scattered throughout the pudding. You can try that yourself if you prefer not to make the ganache sauce.
If doing so, though, be sure to use the best quality chocolate you can find. It really does make all the difference.
Go ahead, try it…you only think you don’t like bread pudding! 😉
Love chocolate desserts? Be sure to browse this incredible collection of Favourite Chocolate Recipes from the past 10 years on Rock Recipes.
Like this Raspberry Chocolate Bread Pudding recipe?
Plus you’ll see daily recipe suggestions from decadent desserts to quick delicious weekday meals too.
You can also sign up for our FREE newsletter to know immediately when we add new recipes. You’ll also get weekly suggestions for great family friendly meals and desserts too!
Rock Recipes a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. Our product recommendations are almost exclusively for those we currently use or have used in the past.
A vanilla custard based creamy bread pudding with pops of fresh raspberries baked right in, then drizzled with warm, indulgent chocolate ganache sauce.
- 2 cups fresh or frozen raspberries
- 5 cups bread cubes, Use any good quality bread. I’ve used Brioche here but French, Italian or Belgian bread is good too.
- 1 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1 cup milk
- 2 eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- Pinch salt
For the Chocolate Ganache Sauce
- 1/2 cup whipping cream
- 1 1/2 cups chocolate chips
- Grease an 8x8 inch baking dish well. Toss the bread cubes with the nutmeg and cinnamon.
- Place half the bread cubes in the bottom of the greased baking dish and sprinkle evenly with half the raspberries. Repeat a second layer of the remaining bread cubes and raspberries.
- Whisk together the 1 cup whipping cream, milk, eggs, egg yolks, sugar, vanilla and salt.
- Pour the mixture evenly over the bread cubes, pressing down slightly to make sure all the cubes are soaked.
- Bake in a 350 degree oven for about 45-50 minutes until the custard is set and no longer liquid in the center. Let the bread pudding stand for about 20 minutes before serving.
- Serve with warm chocolate ganache sauce.
To prepare the Chocolate Ganache:
- Scald the whipping cream in microwave just to the point that it almost boils then pour it over the chocolate chips in a glass bowl.
- Let stand for five minutes before stirring until smooth. Drizzle over the warm bread pudding.
Serving Size12 servings
Amount Per Serving Calories 381Total Fat 21gSaturated Fat 12gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 7gCholesterol 106mgSodium 175mgCarbohydrates 44gFiber 4gSugar 27gProtein 7g