Five Star Bars are more a confection than a cookie bar with coconut and graham crumbs suspended in chewy caramel like base, topped with chocolate. Make and bake them in only about a half hour; a real Newfoundland favourite, especially around the Holidays.
Again today, Rock Recipes is featuring another cookie by request, these scrumptious Five Star Bars. Over the last couple of years in our annual cookie march to Christmas, I have received several requests for a recipe for this particular bar cookie.
It is a local favorite here and I have seen them in many local bakeries for years but never had made them before. I don’t know why? …they couldn’t be easier to make or be more soft, chewy and caramel-y delicious. They freeze really well too.
Like this Five Star Bars recipe?
Be sure to browse the photo index of over 200 cookies and cookie bar recipe is in our expansive Cookies Category.
- ¼ cup melted butter
- 2 cups graham cracker crumbs
- 2 cups unsweetened coconut
- A 10 ounce can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup chocolate chips (use your preference of milk chocolate, semi sweet or dark)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Mix together the butter, graham crumbs, coconut, condensed milk, and vanilla.
- Press into a parchment paper lined 9 x 9 pan.
- Bake in a 350 degree oven for 20 minutes or until firm.
- As soon as they come out of the oven, sprinkle the chocolate chips over the top of the hot cookie bars.
- Let stand for 5 to 10 minutes to allow the chocolate to melt, then spread evenly over the top.
- Allow the bars to cool to room temperature before cutting into cookie bars or squares.
- Store in an airtight container. These cookie bars freeze well too.