Blueberry Fool Butter Cake, a moist, delicious butter cake filled & topped with a whipped cream Blueberry fool. It reminds me of Sunday dinners as a child.
After the recent success of our East End Mess recipe I thought about other ways to incorporate a simple whipped cream and berry fool into other desserts.
Keeping it completely simple I decided to make a plain vanilla butter cake and frost it with the same blueberry fool as in the East End mess recipe. Result: a totally moist and delicious, easy dessert cake.
For a simple blueberry compote that you can use in the Blueberry Fool recipe, click here.
Love homemade cakes from scratch? We’ve put together a collection of the 25 Most Baked Cakes of the last 12 years on Rock Recipes. You are sure to find several to love.
Originally published May 2013. Updated June 2020.
Like this Blueberry Fool Cake recipe?
You’ll find hundreds of other sweet ideas in our Cakes & Pies Category and even more in our Desserts Category.
It’s easy to keep up with the latest home style cooking & baking ideas from Rock Recipes. Be sure to follow Rock Recipes Facebook Page and follow us on Instagram.
Plus you’ll see daily recipe suggestions from decadent desserts to quick delicious weekday meals too.
You can also sign up for our FREE newsletter to know immediately when we add new recipes. You’ll also get weekly suggestions for great family friendly meals and desserts too!
Rock Recipes a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. Our product recommendations are almost exclusively for those we currently use or have used in the past.
Blueberry Fool Butter Cake - a moist, delicious butter cake filled & topped with a whipped cream Blueberry fool. It reminds me of Sunday dinners as a child.
For the Butter Cake
- 1 1/4 cups sifted all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups sifted cake flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 2/3 cup butter, I use salted butter but add no additional salt to the recipe.
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 tablespoons good quality vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk, or use a tablespoon of lemon juice stirred into 1 cup milk
For the Blueberry Fool
- 2 1/2 cup whipping cream
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 5 rounded tbsp icing sugar, powdered sugar
- 1 cup blueberry jam or compote
To prepare the Butter Cake
- Grease two 9 inch cake pans and line the bottoms with parchment paper. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Sift together the all purpose flour, cake flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer beat together the butter, vegetable oil, vanilla extract and sugar well at high speed with whisk attachment until light and fluffy.
- Beat in the eggs, one at a time.
- Fold in the dry ingredients alternately with the buttermilk. I always add dry ingredients in three divisions and liquid ingredients in 2 divisions. It is very important to begin and end the additions with the dry ingredients. Do not over mix the batter. As soon as it has no lumps in the batter, pour into the two prepared 9 inch cake pans.
- Bake at 325 degrees F for 30-35 minutes or until a wooden toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Allow the cake to cool in the pans for 10 minutes before turning out onto wire racks to cool completely.
To prepare the Blueberry Fool
- Beat the whipping cream, vanilla extract and icing sugar to firm peaks.
- Fold to swirl in the blueberry jam.
- Frost the center and top of the cake with the Blueberry Fool. Top with additional jam to garnish if desired.
This recipe will work with practically any jam or homemade compote. Strawberry and peach are terrific too!
Serving Size1 slice
Amount Per Serving Calories 437Total Fat 28gSaturated Fat 18gUnsaturated Fat 0gCholesterol 104mgSodium 152mgCarbohydrates 45gFiber 1gSugar 26gProtein 5g