Chicken Teriyaki Salad with Grilled Mango. As delicious as it is pretty on the plate, this healthy dinner salad is a complete meal in itself that’s bursting with complimentary flavours.
Originally published Aug 2011.
Today’s recipe made good use of a slightly different version of the teriyaki sauce that was recently featured in our Baked Teriyaki Panko Pork Chops in this delicious salad. The sauce is simply made just a little thicker which will allow it to be repeatedly glazed onto thin strips of chicken on the grill for a very quick, easy and tasty meal.
Pound out boneless chicken breasts to a 1/2 inch thickness, season with salt and pepper and grill over high heat. A couple of minutes before they are fully cooked begin repeatedly brushing the teriyaki glaze over the chicken strips.
For added texture and flavor I added some croutons made from leftover Yogurt Flatbreads. That’s a very versatile and very quick and easy way to make soft delicious flatbread for wraps, curries or dipping up a favourite sauce.
To make the crouton crisps, simply brush the flat bread with garlic butter or garlic oil. Cut into strips and bake for about 10 minutes in a 325 degree F oven or until crispy.
NOTE: I like to debone my own chicken breasts so that I can roast the bones and skins for stock later. I freeze them until I have enough to cover a baking sheet then use the instructions in my post on making Chicken Stock here.
Like this Chicken Teriyaki Salad recipe?
Be sure to browse the photo index of delicious dishes in our Healthy Eating Category.
Plus you’ll see daily recipe suggestions from decadent desserts to quick delicious weekday meals too.
You can also sign up for our FREE newsletter to know immediately when we add new recipes. You’ll also get weekly suggestions for great family friendly meals and desserts too!
Rock Recipes a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. Our product recommendations are almost exclusively for those we currently use or have used in the past.
Chicken Teriyaki Salad with Grilled Mango - as delicious as it is pretty on the plate, this healthy dinner salad is a complete meal in itself that's bursting with complementary flavours.
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
For the Teriyaki Glaze
- 3 cloves minced garlic
- 3 tbsp peanut oil
- 1/2 cup soy sauce preferably reduced salt soya sauce
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 tsp five spice powder or cinnamon
- 2 tsp sesame oil
- 4 tbsp rice wine vinegar or apple cider vinegar
- 1 ounce piece fresh ginger very finely grated (freezing ginger makes it easier to grate)
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 1 1/2 tbsp corn starch
The salad is made up of
- Grilled teriyaki chicken strips
- Grilled mango strips
- Julienne red pepper
- Julienne red onion
- Romaine Lettuce
- Toasted sesame seeds
- Flatbread croutons
To prepare the Teriyaki Glaze
- In a small saucepan add the oil and garlic.
- Saute until the garlic is softened but not browned then add the soy sauce, water, honey, brown sugar, five spice powder,sesame oil, rice wine vinegar,ginger and black pepper.
- Simmer for about 5 minutes before adding a thickening slurry made from dissolving the 1/4 cup cold water and corn starch.
- Simmer for an additional minute and remove from the stove. Store for up to 2 weeks in a refrigerated, air tight container. Spoon only small amounts at a time into a small bowl in order to brush it on to the grilled chicken in several layers as it cooks, so that you do not contaminate the rest of the glaze for later use. Grill the mango pieces in the last couple of minutes that the chicken is on the grill.
- Cut the glazed grilled chicken into strips and use it along with the grilled mango with the rest of the salad ingredients to plate individual servings.
Serving Size1 serving
Amount Per Serving Calories 546Total Fat 17gSaturated Fat 3gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 12gCholesterol 96mgSodium 1242mgCarbohydrates 62gFiber 1gSugar 57gProtein 39g
The nutritional information provided is automatically calculated by third party software and is meant as a guideline only. Exact accuracy is not guaranteed. For recipes where all ingredients may not be used entirely, such as those with coatings on meats, or with sauces or dressings for example, calorie & nutritional values per serving will likely be somewhat lower than indicated.