Braised Beef Oven Chili. Imagine a delicious rich, spicy chili with tender pieces of pot roast in it. That’s what you get in this incredible slow cooked, comfort food meal.
Originally published March 2011.
Spouse seems to be on a bit of a quest to make the perfect bowl of chili. She does several great versions of great chili, including the recently featured 15 Bean Sausage Chili.
That recipe incorporates some spicy Italian sausage into the mix for an incredible infusion of flavour.
This is a real comfort food version of chili that is totally made in the oven. That makes it a perfect meal idea on a day like today when we are in the middle of a snow storm.
It promises to dump about 12 inches of the white stuff on us before it lets up.
The difference in this recipe is that it uses a beef roast. That roast is slowly braised to tender perfection in the spicy tomato based sauce.
Imagine a slow simmered thick bowl of chili with pieces of pot roast in it. It’s just an amazing comfort food meal.
What about the bread?
UPDATE: Several people have asked about the bread in the photos which we served with this delicious Braised Beef Oven Chili. It is actually a combination of 2 bread ideas, French & Italian.
Click here for our French Focaccia Bread recipe.
You might also like another amazingly delicious, slow cooked meal, Burgundy Beef Stew.
Like this Braised Beef Oven Chili recipe?
You’ll find plenty of other delicious ideas like this in our Slow Cooked Sundays Category and in our Beef Recipes Category.
Plus you’ll see daily recipe suggestions from decadent desserts to quick delicious weekday meals too.
You can also sign up for our FREE newsletter to know immediately when we add new recipes. You’ll also get weekly suggestions for great family friendly meals and desserts too!
Rock Recipes a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. Our product recommendations are almost exclusively for those we currently use or have used in the past.
Imagine a delicious rich, spicy chili with tender pieces of pot roast in it. That's what you get in this incredible slow cooked, comfort food meal.
- 2 lb beef roast
- salt and pepper to season
- 4 cloves minced garlic
- 1 small red onion diced
- 6 oz beer
- 28 oz can crushed tomatoes
- 14 oz can tomato sauce
- 2 large fresh tomatoes diced
- 1 large roasted red pepper, peeled and diced small
- ½ to 1 whole jalapeño pepper finely minced, optional
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon coarse ground black pepper
- 5 tbsp chilli powder, more or less to taste
- 3 tbsp smoked paprika
- 3 tbsp ground cumin
- 6 tbsp molasses
- 1 can kidney beans, or 1 1/2 cups of your favorite cooked beans
- 1 cup sweet corn kernels, fresh or frozen
- Cheap cuts of beef are fine and are actually best for braising. Chuck, blade or cross rib roast would work fine.
- Season the roast with salt and pepper and brown it all over in a hot cast iron skillet over medium high heat with a little vegetable oil, then transfer the browned roast to a medium sized covered roasting pan or large covered casserole dish.
- Add the garlic, onion, beer, crushed tomatoes, tomato sauce, fresh tomatoes, red pepper, jalapeño pepper, kosher salt, black pepper, chili powder, smoked paprika, cumin, molasses, sweet corn and kidney beans.
- Stir all together then cover the roasting pan with aluminum foil and then the cover to create a tighter seal. Place in a 325 degree F oven for 2 to 2 1/2 hours or until the sauce is thickened and the beef is falling apart. Remove the roast from the pan, trim any fat and break the roast up into small chunks like when making pulled pork. Return the beef pieces to the chili and stir in. You can also stir in a little freshly chopped cilantro at the end as well if you like.
Serving Size8 servings
Amount Per Serving Calories 368Total Fat 26gSaturated Fat 6gUnsaturated Fat 20gCholesterol 78mgSodium 871mgCarbohydrates 35gFiber 7gSugar 21gProtein 27g