|Caramel Stuffed Brown Butter Cookies|
Caramel Stuffed Brown Butter Cookies
I love brown butter. It is one of those wonderful processes where a simple ingredient transforms into something just that more flavorful and special. I’ve used it in everything from frosting to Hollandaise sauce but I recently decided that it would be a terrific thing to use in baking to add extra hints of caramel. When I wanted to make a caramel candy stuffed cookie, what could be a better opportunity to try an experiment.
- ⅔ cup brown butter
- 1⅓ cups brown sugar
- 1 extra large egg
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups sifted all purpose flour
- ¾ tsp baking soda
- 18 -20 Kraft Caramel Candies
- You will need to make the brown butter in advance and let it cool completely. To brown butter, just melt about 1 cup of butter in a small saucepan over medium heat and watch it carefully until the color turns light golden brown. Pour it off immediately into a heat proof measuring cup, leaving the sediment behind. Allow the brown butter to cool to room temperature and solidify. Use ⅔ cup of the browned butter.
- Cream the brown butter with the brown sugar and vanilla extract until light and fluffy.
- Add the egg and beat well for 2-3 minutes.
- Sift together the flour and baking soda.
- Fold into the creamed mixture until all the flour is incorporated and a soft dough forms.
- Cover or wrap the dough and chill for at least 30-60 minutes.
- The caramel candy works best in these cookies if they are pounded to about half their original thickness. You can pond them with a flat meat mallet, a marble rolling pin or just press them hard with a wooden spoon; whatever works.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Roll the dough into 1½ inch balls. I used 1½ ounces of dough per cookie or about 43-45 grams.
- Push a flattened caramel candy right into the center of the dough ball, pushing and pressing the dough completely around the candy and pinching together well to seal.
- Flatten slightly with the palm of your hand to form into thick disks.
- Place the prepared dough disks onto a parchment lined baking sheet about 2 inches apart.
- Bake for 15-17 minutes or until they just start to turn brown at the bottom edges.
- Let them cool on the baking pan for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Store in airtight containers. the cookies also freeze well.
- These are best served warm from the oven but 10-20 seconds in the microwave before serving will also soften the caramel and give them that gooey, fresh from the oven taste and texture.