Caramel Stuffed Brown Butter Cookies. Soft, chewy and so easy to make… simply delicious.
Originally published Nov, 2013.
These soft and chewy cookies have triple the caramel flavour! That flavour from brown butter, brown sugar and soft caramel candy stuffed into the centre. Absolutely irresistible!
I love brown butter. It is one of those wonderful processes where a simple ingredient transforms into something just that more flavourful and special.
I’ve used it in everything from frosting to Hollandaise sauce. I recently decided that it would be a terrific thing to use in baking to add extra hints of caramel.
When I wanted to make a caramel candy stuffed cookie, what could be a better opportunity to try an experiment.
I can tell you that the result was spectacular. When spouse and the kids bit into them, warm from the oven, I thought their eyes would pop out of their heads. These are seriously delicious and an absolute must try.
I’m off now, before the kids get home from school, to hide a couple for late night snack. Don’t judge! …I’ll bet you’ll be hoarding a few for yourself too.
If you like this recipe, be sure to check out out collection of Favourite After School Cookies!
Like this Caramel Stuffed Brown Butter Cookies recipe?
Be sure to browse the photo index of over 200 cookie and cookie bar recipes is in our expansive Cookies Category.
Plus you’ll see daily recipe suggestions from decadent desserts to quick delicious weekday meals too.
You can also sign up for our FREE newsletter to know immediately when we add new recipes. You’ll also get weekly suggestions for great family friendly meals and desserts too!
Rock Recipes a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. Our product recommendations are almost exclusively for those we currently use or have used in the past.
Caramel Stuffed Brown Butter Cookies - so simple and so simply delicious. Soft and chewy with triple the caramel flavour from brown butter, brown sugar and soft caramel candy stuffed into the centre of the cookies. Absolutely irresistible!
- 2/3 cup brown butter
- 1 1/3 cups brown sugar
- 1 extra large egg
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups sifted all purpose flour
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 20 Kraft Caramel Candies
- You will need to make the brown butter in advance and let it cool completely. To brown butter, just melt about 1 cup of butter in a small saucepan over medium heat and watch it carefully until the color turns light golden brown. Pour it off immediately into a heat proof measuring cup, leaving the sediment behind. Allow the brown butter to cool to room temperature and solidify. Use 2/3 cup of the browned butter.
- Cream the brown butter with the brown sugar and vanilla extract until light and fluffy.
- Add the egg and beat well for 2-3 minutes.
- Sift together the flour and baking soda.
- Fold into the creamed mixture until all the flour is incorporated and a soft dough forms.
- Cover or wrap the dough and chill for at least 30-60 minutes.
- The caramel candy works best in these cookies if they are pounded to about half their original thickness. You can pound them with a flat meat mallet, a marble rolling pin or just press them hard with a wooden spoon; whatever works.
To bake the cookies
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Roll the dough into 1 1/2 inch balls. I used 1 1/2 ounces of dough per cookie or about 43-45 grams.
- Push a flattened caramel candy right into the center of the dough ball, pushing and pressing the dough completely around the candy and pinching together well to seal.
- Flatten slightly with the palm of your hand to form into thick disks.
- Place the prepared dough disks onto a parchment lined baking sheet about 2 inches apart.
- Bake for 15-17 minutes or until they just start to turn brown at the bottom edges.
- Let them cool on the baking pan for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Store in airtight containers. the cookies also freeze well.
- These are best served warm from the oven but 10-20 seconds in the microwave before serving will also soften the caramel and give them that gooey, fresh from the oven taste and texture.
The nutritional information provided is automatically calculated by third party software and is meant as a guideline only. Exact accuracy is not guaranteed. For recipes where all ingredients may not be used entirely, such as those with coatings on meats, or with sauces or dressings for example, calorie & nutritional values per serving will likely be somewhat lower than indicated.
Serving Size20 Cookies
Amount Per Serving Calories 198Total Fat 7gSaturated Fat 4gUnsaturated Fat 3gCholesterol 25mgSodium 133mgCarbohydrates 31gSugar 20gProtein 2g