Chocolate Poke Cake. Light, moist Chocolate Velvet Cake, drizzled in homemade fudge sauce, then topped with vanilla whipped cream & chopped chocolate.
This chocolate poke cake is a little slice of chocolate indulgence that puts to use two of my favourite recent chocolate recipes. The Chocolate Velvet Cake used in this recipe has been very popular lately.
It was a recipe that came to be by reader request after she had baked several of the other cakes in our Velvet Cake Collection.
The Chocolate Fudge Sauce is a recipe that we’ve been using around here for years on ice cream sundaes. It eventually will seep into the entire cake adding great moisture and flavour.
It does look wonderful though, oozing out of this chocolate poke cake when cut immediately.
A couple of serving tips.
- To serve the cake with pockets of sauce, make sure that you add the sauce and frost the cake immediately before serving and that the sauce is very cold, direct from the fridge when you add it.
- Always use powdered sugar (icing sugar) to sweeten whipped cream for desserts. The corn starch in the powdered sugar helps to stabilize the cream and it does not deflate, even after a day in the fridge.
Originally published October 2014.
Be sure to check out the other flavours in our entire collection of Velvet Cake Recipes!
Like this Chocolate Poke Cake recipe?
Plus you’ll see daily recipe suggestions from decadent desserts to quick delicious weekday meals too.
You can also sign up for our FREE newsletter to know immediately when we add new recipes. You’ll also get weekly suggestions for great family friendly meals and desserts too!
Rock Recipes a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. Our product recommendations are almost exclusively for those we currently use or have used in the past.
Light, Moist, chocolate velvet cake, drizzled in homemade fudge sauce and topped with vanilla whipped cream and chopped chocolate.
For the Chocolate Velvet Cake
- 1 cup sifted all purpose flour
- 1 1/4 cups sifted cake flour
- 1/2 cup cocoa
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 2/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1/3 cup vegetable shortening at room temperature
- 3 tablespoons good quality vanilla extract, if you want pure white use clear vanilla extract
- 3 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
For the Chocolate Fudge Sauce
- 2 cups white sugar
- 3/4 cup sifted cocoa
- pinch salt
- 1/2 cup corn syrup
- 3/4 cup melted butter
- 1 1/4 cups undiluted evaporated milk, no water added (not sweetened condensed milk)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
For the Vanilla Whipped Cream
- 2 cups whipping cream.
- 4 rounded tbsp icing sugar, powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup chopped chocolate bar, for garnish, optional
To prepare the Chocolate Velvet Cake
- Sift together both flours, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder, salt and sugar. Set aside.
- Grease and flour a 9x13 inch baking pan.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer beat together the vegetable oil, shortening and vanilla. Beat well at high speed with whisk attachment until light and fluffy
- Beat the eggs in one at a time.
- Fold in the dry ingredients alternately with the buttermilk.
- I always add dry ingredients in three divisions and liquid ingredients in 2 divisions. It is very important to begin and end the additions with the dry ingredients. Do not over mix the batter. As soon as it has no lumps in the batter, pour into the prepared 9x13 inch baking pan.
- Bake at 325 degrees F for 30-35 minutes or until a wooden toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Allow the cake to cool in the pan.
For the Chocolate Fudge Sauce
- You will need only about half of this recipe but the remainder can be stored in the fridge in a sealed container fro a couple of weeks to be enjoyed on ice cream sundaes or to use on a second cake later.
- In a medium sized saucepan, stir all of the ingredients together.
- Bring to a very gentle boil, stirring occasionally.
- Simmer for five minutes. Watch it very closely, it can foam up and boil over if the heat is too high or the pot too small. This is not a recipe to walk away from.
- Remove from the heat and let cool to room temperature.
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 2 weeks.
To make the Vanilla Whipped Cream
- beat the cream, icing sugar and vanilla together at high speed with an electric mixer until stiff peaks form.
To put the cake together
- Using the round handle of a wooden spoon, poke holes into the cake, stopping about a half inch from the bottom of the pan. These holes should be about 3/4 of an inch apart.
- Pour 1 1/2 cups of the chilled fudge sauce evenly over the cake. Frost immediately with the vanilla whipped cream and garnish with about 1/2 cup chopped chocolate bar if you like.
Serving Size1 grams
Amount Per Serving Calories 603Total Fat 35gSaturated Fat 16gTrans Fat 1gUnsaturated Fat 17gCholesterol 98mgSodium 375mgCarbohydrates 66gFiber 1gSugar 48gProtein 6g
The nutritional information provided is automatically calculated by third party software and is meant as a guideline only. Exact accuracy is not guaranteed. For recipes where all ingredients may not be used entirely, such as those with coatings on meats, or with sauces or dressings for example, calorie & nutritional values per serving will likely be somewhat lower than indicated.