Glazed Lemon Pound Cake. An old fashioned favourite, just like grandma used to bake. Complete with a thick layer of sweet, tangy lemon glaze. Perfect with an afternoon cup of tea.
Sometimes the simple things are the best for us lemon lovers. This beautiful, uncomplicated buttery glazed lemon pound cake covered in sweet, tart lemon glaze epitomizes that very idea.
A quiet cup of tea with a thick slice of this gorgeous cake makes a great afternoon break.
Try limes instead!
To find a slice of this in a brown bag lunch or school lunchbox would be sure to make anyone’s day. Save the end slice with the most glaze for me though. 😉
Love homemade cakes from scratch? We’ve put together a collection of the 25 Most Baked Cakes of the last 12 years on Rock Recipes. You are sure to find several to love.
Like this Lemon Glazed Pound Cake recipe?
Plus you’ll see daily recipe suggestions from decadent desserts to quick delicious weekday meals too.
You can also sign up for our FREE newsletter to know immediately when we add new recipes. You’ll also get weekly suggestions for great family friendly meals and desserts too!
Rock Recipes a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. Our product recommendations are almost exclusively for those we currently use or have used in the past.
Glazed Lemon Pound Cake - an old fashioned favourite, just like grandma used to bake, complete with a thick layer of sweet, tangy lemon glaze. Perfect with an afternoon cup of tea.
For the Pound Cake.
- 1 ½ cups butter
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tsp lemon extract
- zest of 3 lemons, finely grated and chopped
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups cake flour
- 2 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 cup undiluted evaporated milk.
For the Lemon Glaze
- 2 cups powdered sugar, icing sugar
- zest of one lemon, finely grated and chopped
- juice of one lemon
To prepare the pound cake
- Makes 2 small (8x4 incloaf cakes or 1 bundt cake
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Grese and flour the pan/s well. Line loaf pans with parchment paper of using those
- Add, one at a time, beating well after each addition until light and fluffy:
- Cream together the butter and sugar.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition until light and fluffy.
- Blend in the vanilla and lemon extracts plus the lemon zest.
- Sift together the flour, cake flour & baking powder.
- Fold dry ingredients into the creamed mixture alternately with the milk, beginning and ending with the dry ingredients. Generally, I fold in the dry ingredients in 3 portions and the milk in 2 portions.
- Bake at 325 degrees F for about 45 minutes or until a wooden toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. A bundt pan will likely take longer.
- Let rest in pan/s for 10 minutes before cooling completely on a wire rack. Cover with lemon glaze.
To prepare the Lemon Glaze
- Blend together all ingredients until smooth. If the glaze seems too thick or thin, just add a little more juice or powdered sugar to get it to a thick but pourable consistency.
- Drizzle very slowly over the cooled cakes.
- I like glaze it in two or more stages, letting the glaze dry a little for 15 to 20 minutes between glazings. That's the perfect way to get a nice thick glaze.
Serving Size20 servings
Amount Per Serving Calories 338 Saturated Fat 9g Cholesterol 63mg Sodium 147mg Carbohydrates 48g Fiber 1g Sugar 33g Protein 4g