Ham Sweet Potato and Parsnip Soup. The perfect soup to make after a baked ham dinner, with homemade stock and adding the sweetness of roasted vegetables.
Once again, this Ham Sweet Potato and Parsnip Soup comes courtesy of Spouse and combines her favourite ham with 2 of her favourite roasted vegetables.
I’d have to say that one of the top five favourite meals at our house is the fantastically juicy, sweet and salty Dijon Mustard & Brown Sugar Glazed Ham. If you haven’t tried that recipe, it should be at the top of your “Gotta Try” list.
Yesterday we featured some of the leftovers of that ham in Toutons Benedict. Such a great brunch idea! And today the sweet and salty theme continues in this delicious soup.
Sweet roasted onions, sweet potatoes and parsnips all form the base of this pureed soup along with a simple ham stock made from the leftover ham bone.
Small pieces of the leftover ham are added at the end for a counterbalance to the sweetness of the roasted vegetables.
Ginger, smoked paprika and a little cinnamon add warm and smoky notes to this fantastic appetizer or lunchtime soup.
Like this Ham Sweet potato and Parsnip Soup recipe?
It’s easy to keep up with the latest home style cooking & baking ideas from Rock Recipes. Be sure to follow Rock Recipes Facebook Page and follow us on Instagram. Plus you’ll see daily recipe suggestions from decadent desserts to quick delicious weekday meals too.
You can also sign up for our FREE newsletter to know immediately when we add new recipes. You’ll also get weekly suggestions for great family friendly meals and desserts too!
You might also like our most popular soup recipe yet, Pea Soup and Dough Boys.
Ham, Sweet Potato and Parsnip Soup - the perfect soup to make after a baked ham dinner, using the ham bone for stock and adding the sweetness of roasted vegetables.
- 4 cups sweet potatoes, diced
- 3 cups parsnips, diced
- 2 cups red onions, diced
- 2 litres ham stock, or low sodium vegetable stock
- 8 cloves garlic
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp powdered ginger
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- salt and pepper to season
- 3 cups ham, diced small
- Prepare the ham stock by covering the ham bone and any leftover scraps of ham with 10-12 cups of water and adding an onion to the pot. Simmer for a an hour or so, over low heat. Strain and set aside.
- Chop the sweet potatoes, onions and parsnips into about a 2 inch dice. Toss the vegetables with the olive oil and the garlic cloves which should be left in their skins to roast.
- Place the vegetables in a large baking dish in a single layer, season lightly with salt and pepper and roast at 350 degrees F until all of the vegetables are fork tender.
- Squeeze the roasted garlic out of the skins and add it along with the roasted vegetables to a large pot and add the ham stock, paprika, cinnamon & ginger.
- Simmer over low heat for 15 -20 minutes before pureéing the soup in a blender or with an immersion blender.
- Add the diced ham and simmer for 10 minutes before tasting and doing a final seasoning with salt and pepper before serving.
Amount Per Serving Calories 263Saturated Fat 2gCholesterol 19mgSodium 690mgCarbohydrates 31gFiber 5gSugar 7gProtein 14g
The nutritional information provided is automatically calculated by third party software and is meant as a guideline only. Exact accuracy is not guaranteed. For recipes where all ingredients may not be used entirely, such as those with coatings on meats, or with sauces or dressings for example, calorie & nutritional values per serving will likely be somewhat lower than indicated.
Rock Recipes a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. Our product recommendations are almost exclusively for those we currently use or have used in the past.