Lemon Turnovers in Sour Cream Pastry. Tart homemade lemon curd in a light flakey, shortcut pastry recipe.
I’ve been making this particular pastry since I was 14 years old and there’s a good reason why. This is one of the most tender and flaky butter pastry recipes I have ever tried.
The secret is the sour cream that is used to bring the dough together and give the pastry an exceptionally rich taste. I use this pastry in savoury dishes as well and it is fantastic for making pastry wrapped salmon, chicken and seafood dishes.
In this recipe, I have used it along with some homemade lemon curd. Together they made these simple but amazing lemon turnovers which I again shared with the folks at my office.
I can’t count how many post-Christmas diets that I have shattered there in the last few weeks. Fortunately, they seem to be quite forgiving so far. 😉
For a more in depth look at this pastry and a VIDEO with full instructions of how to make it be sure to check out our post, 15 Minute Shortcut Puff Pastry.
If you are a real lemon lover like me, I’ve put together a countdown of our Top 50 Lemon Recipes from over a decade on Rock Recipes.
Like this Lemon Turnovers recipe?
Plus you’ll see daily recipe suggestions from decadent desserts to quick delicious weekday meals too.
You can also sign up for our FREE newsletter to know immediately when we add new recipes. You’ll also get weekly suggestions for great family friendly meals and desserts too!
Rock Recipes a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. Our product recommendations are almost exclusively for those we currently use or have used in the past.
Lemon Turnovers in Sour Cream Pastry - tart homemade lemon curd in a light flakey, shortcut pastry recipe.
For the Lemon Curd
- 6 lightly beaten egg yolks
- 1 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
- zest of two lemons, finely minced
- 1/2 cup butter cut into small pieces
For the Sour Cream Pastry
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 2 cups very cold butter
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup sour cream
To prepare the Lemon Curd
- In a mall saucepan combine the egg yolks, sugar, lemon juice and lemon zest.
- Cook slowly over medium low heat for about 10 minutes stirring constantly until the mixture thickens enough to coat the back of a wooden spoon.
- Remove from heat and stir in the butter a few pieces at a time until completely smooth. Cover with plastic wrap and chill completely in the fridge.
To prepare the Sour Cream Pastry
- Cut butter into the flour and salt with a food processor or pastry blender until mixture resembles a coarse meal. Small pieces of butter should still be visible in the mix. Stir in the sour cream to form a dough. Form dough into two rectangles, wrap in plastic and rest in the fridge for 20 minutes.
- Roll out dough to about 1/4 inch thickness and cut into 4 inch squares. Spoon a heaping teaspoon of lemon curd into the center of each pastry square and fold over. Press the edges down firmly with the tips of your fingers to seal. Place the turnovers on a parchment lined baking sheet.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F and bake for 20-25 minutes until light golden brown. Cool for at least 20 minutes before serving.
Serving Size1 turnover
Amount Per Serving Calories 420Total Fat 24gSaturated Fat 9gUnsaturated Fat 0gCholesterol 118mgSodium 166mgCarbohydrates 47gFiber 1gSugar 30gProtein 4g