Maple Apple Bread Pudding. A warm comfort food dessert, with warm sautéed apples served in a caramel apple sauce. Incredibly delicious!
We had a big Sunday Brunch at our house today with my nephew Nate and his pregnant mom. She’s been craving bread pudding and put in a special request for this one which we served as a post-brunch dessert.
The glazed apples in this recipe are served in a sort of apple flavoured caramel sauce. This bumps up the flavour to a whole other level.
As regular readers will know, Spouse is a huge fan of bread pudding. Warm desserts in particular are her favourites.
This one got a big thumbs up from her as well. She said it was like apple pie meets bread pudding.
I don’t disagree. It was scrumptious!
There were a couple of no-shows because of the change in daylight savings time. Look what they missed, proving yet again, you snooze, you lose.
An ideal bread for this recipe is brioche. If you want to try your hand at making it you can find our recipe here.
Originally published 2012.
A lot has changed since this recipe was originally shared in 2012. I mentioned my sister Belinda was pregnant, and that baby recently turned 11 years old!
One thing that remains the same is just how good this recipe is. With the fall season back in full swing, we are featuring this recipe again as an ultimate comfort food dessert. Seriously, nothing will bring people together at the table faster!
Like this Maple Apple Bread Pudding recipe?
For more tried and true recipes, check out this collection of our 25 Most Popular Recipes since Rock Recipes began back in 2007.
Plus you’ll see daily recipe suggestions from decadent desserts to quick delicious weekday meals too.
You can also sign up for our FREE newsletter to know immediately when we add new recipes. You’ll also get weekly suggestions for great family friendly meals and desserts too!
Rock Recipes a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. Our product recommendations are almost exclusively for those we currently use or have used in the past.
Maple Apple Bread Pudding. A warm comfort food dessert, with warm sautéed apples served in a a caramel apple sauce. Incredibly delicious!
For the bread pudding
- 5 cups bread cubes (Use any good quality bread. I’ve used Brioche here but French, Italian or Belgian bread is good too.)
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1 cup milk
- 2 eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- Pinch salt
For the Maple Apples
- 4-5 large apples
- ¼ cup butter
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 3/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/3 cup whipping cream
To prepare the bread pudding
- Grease an 8x8 inch baking dish well.
- In a bowl, toss the bread cubes with the nutmeg and cinnamon.
- Place the spiced bread cubes into the greased baking dish.
- Whisk together the whipping cream, milk, egg yolks, eggs, sugar vanilla and salt.
- Stir until the sugar is completely dissolved.
- Pour the mixture evenly over the bread cubes, pressing down slightly to make sure all the cubes are soaked.
- Bake in a 350 degree oven for about 45-50 minutes until the custard is set and no longer liquid in the center.
- Let the bread pudding stand for about 20 minutes before serving.
- Serve with the apples and maple caramel sauce.
To prepare the apples
- Peel and cut the apples into thick slices.
- In a medium skillet melt the butter and add the cinnamon and brown sugar.
- Cook over medium heat until the sugar dissolves and the mixture is bubbly.
- Add the apples and sauté until the apples are just fork tender but not mushy.
- Remove the apples from the sauce. Let them drain in a colander or sieve and return all the liquid to to a small saucepan.
- Add the maple syrup and simmer the sauce for several minutes to reduce it to a slightly thickened bubbling consistency.
- Add the whipping cream and simmer for an additional couple of minutes.
- Return the apples to the sauce to warm them and serve over the bread pudding.
Amount Per Serving Calories 482Total Fat 21gSaturated Fat 13gTrans Fat 1gUnsaturated Fat 7gCholesterol 138mgSodium 212mgCarbohydrates 69gFiber 4gSugar 51gProtein 6g
The nutritional information provided is automatically calculated by third party software and is meant as a guideline only. Exact accuracy is not guaranteed. For recipes where all ingredients may not be used entirely, such as those with coatings on meats, or with sauces or dressings for example, calorie & nutritional values per serving will likely be somewhat lower than indicated.