Peanut Butter Rocky Road Bars. A quick & easy, no bake, old fashioned favourite with marshmallows suspended in a luscious combination of peanut butter and chocolate. Add the crunch of roasted peanuts too, if you like.
I always think of my Nan Morgan whenever I make these Peanut Butter Rocky Road Bars. It was one of those treats that she always seemed to have on hand.
I remember she made these in a plain version with a can of Fussell’s thick cream stirred into melted chocolate too. All 24 of her grandchildren must have eaten thousands of those over the years in her kitchen in Port-de-Grave.
I also remember this version which she made in later years but I don’t recall her ever using the peanuts in it. That was my addition because Im partial to a change in textures and tastes.
You can easily leave them out if you like. If you are a person who likes the salty-sweet combination, try using salted peanuts instead! I love that too.
Another old favourite from Nan’s kitchen in addition to these Peanut Butter Rocky Road Bars.
For another no-bake treat, one of our most popular recipes of the last 14 years comes from Nan Morgan’s kitchen as well. In the lead up to Christmas, it becomes even more popular because they are so freezer-friendly.
If you freeze them, they can even be made weeks in advance. Give Nan’s fudgey chocolate Snowballs a try too.
Looking for more Christmas cookie inspiration?
If you want even more no-bake suggestions we have a whole collection of No Bake Cookies right here.
Originally published Dec 2016. Updated Dec 2020.
Like this Peanut Butter Rocky Road Bars recipe?
For over 200 more delectable cookie recipes browse through the photo links in our Cookie Gallery.
To keep up with the latest home style cooking & baking ideas from Rock Recipes plus daily recipe suggestions from decadent desserts to quick delicious weekday meals, be sure to follow Rock Recipes Facebook Page and follow us on Instagram.
You can also sign up for our FREE newsletter to know immediately when we add new recipes. You’ll also get weekly suggestions for great family friendly meals and desserts too!
Rock Recipes a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. Our product recommendations are almost exclusively for those we currently use or have used in the past.
Peanut Butter Rocky Road Bars . A quick & easy, no bake, old fashioned favourite with marshmallows suspended in a luscious combination of peanut butter and chocolate; with the crunch of roasted peanuts too, if you like.
- 1/3 cup butter
- 3/4 cup smooth peanut butter
- 2 cups chocolate chips
- 10 oz bag mini marshmallows, 250g
- 1 cup roasted peanuts, optional
- 1/2 cup dried unsweetened or sweetened coconut, optional
- Lightly grease a 9x9 pan and line with parchment paper. You can dust the bottom with 1/4 cup of the coconut if you are using it.
- In a medium saucepan, melt the butter and peanut butter together, then melt in the chocolate chips. As soon as the chocolate chips are melted, take it off the heat. You do not want to overheat this mixture.
- Add the marshmallows and peanuts to a large mixing bowl.
- Pour in the chocolate mixture and fold until the marshmallows are all covered in the chocolate mixture.
- Spread into the prepared pan and sprinkle the other 1/4 cup of dried coconut on top if you are using it.
- Chill for 3-4 hours before cutting into squares or bars. I find that a serrated bread knife works well.
- Store in airtight containers. These will freeze quite well.
Use salted peanuts for a sweet and salty version; one of my faves!
The nutritional information provided is automatically calculated by third party software and is meant as a guideline only. Exact accuracy is not guaranteed. For recipes where all ingredients may not be used entirely, such as those with coatings on meats, or with sauces or dressings for example, calorie & nutritional values per serving will likely be somewhat lower than indicated.
Serving Size1 cookie bar
Amount Per Serving Calories 224Total Fat 12gSaturated Fat 5gUnsaturated Fat 0gCholesterol 9mgSodium 112mgCarbohydrates 24gFiber 1gSugar 17gProtein 4g