Taco Wings with Spicy Guacamole Dip. The perfect wings for Cinco De Mayo, Super Bowl or for any weekend get together with friends.
Well, it’s one of the biggest party and food weekends of the year, particularly for our friends in the US. We are quickly catching on to all the fun up here in Canada too.
After a particularly dreary and cold winter, an early May celebration of bright Mexican flavours and colours is certainly welcome!
When it comes to party food, we are no slouches in this household. We have hosted many great get togethers over the years and try and keep things new and interesting when serving our guests.
Many of these ideas can be found in our dedicated posts for 45 Great Party Food Ideas or our Super Bowl Party Ideas. Take a look at those for plenty of inspiration for your next gathering or just for a game day get together.
On most of those sorts of occasions, a new recipe for finger licking good wings is on the menu. Often friends ask in advance what kind of wings we are serving.
It’s that normal to serve wings as party food around here that friends just assume they are getting them. I am completely fine with that!
Taco Wings for Cinco de Mayo
Since tomorrow is Cinco de Mayo, I wanted to get a recipe together to celebrate. These wings were just the ticket.
These are pretty mildly spiced overall, as is the Guacamole Dip. Please feel free to add more chili powder to the flour dredge for the wings if you like.
The same goes for the chili paste or chili flakes in the guacamole dip. Make it as hot as you like of leave it out altogether as a cooling respite from the spicy heat of the wings.
Long story short, as we always say around here, ” Any recipe is just a starting point”. Tweak this one to just the way you like it.
If you are a huge fan of great chicken wing recipes, like me, be sure to check out this delicious collection of 20 Fantastic Chicken Wing Recipes.
Like this Pulled Chicken Sandwiches recipe?
It’s easy to keep up with the latest home style cooking & baking ideas from Rock Recipes. Be sure to follow Rock Recipes Facebook Page and follow us on Instagram. Plus you’ll see daily recipe suggestions from decadent desserts to quick delicious weekday meals too.
You can also sign up for our FREE newsletter to know immediately when we add new recipes. You’ll get weekly suggestions for great family friendly meals and desserts too!
Taco Wings with Spicy Guacamole Dip. The perfect wings for Cinco De Mayo, Super Bowl or for any weekend get together with friends
- 3 pounds chicken wings washed, trimmed and cut in pieces.
- canola oil for frying
For the egg wash
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup milk
For the herb and spice dredge
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tbsp ground ginger
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper optional, or more or less to your heat preference
- 2 tsp fine salt
- 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp dry oregano, or Mexican Oregano
- 2 tbsp Chili powder, the kind you would use making Chili Con Carne
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 Tbsp smoked paprika, or regular paprika
- 1 tsp cinnamon
For the spicy Guacamole Dip
- 1 cup mashed avocado
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- salt and pepper to season
- 1 tsp crushed chili paste
- 2 cloves garlic, finely minced
- Add canola oil or peanut oil to your deep fryer and preheat to 350 degrees F.
- Dredge the chicken wings into the flour and spice mixture.
- Dip each wing quickly in the egg wash and then back into the flour and spice mixture.
- Repeat for all the wings. Lay them on a cutting board while the oil heats.
- This double dipped method helps keep the crust on the wings and makes them super crispy too.
- Fry for about 10-12 minutes minutes depending upon the size of the wings until a medium golden brown.
- Use a meat thermometer to determine of the inside temperature has reached 170 degrees F to ensure they are fully cooked. Small wings can cook in 8-10 minutes.
- Drain on a wire rack placed on a cookie sheet.
- Hold in a 175 degree oven if making more than one batch. Serve with the Spicy Guacamole Dip.
To prepare the Spicy Guacamole dip
- Simply mash and mix to combine or give it a minute in the food processor.
- Cover with plastic wrap and chill until ready to serve.
Amount Per Serving Calories 429Saturated Fat 6gCholesterol 96mgSodium 572mgCarbohydrates 23gFiber 2gSugar 1gProtein 18g
The nutritional information provided is automatically calculated by third party software and is meant as a guideline only. Exact accuracy is not guaranteed. For recipes where all ingredients may not be used entirely, such as those with coatings on meats, or with sauces or dressings for example, calorie & nutritional values per serving will likely be somewhat lower than indicated.