Leftover Turkey Stew or Chicken Stew. Made by roasting vegetables to bring out their natural sweetness and flavour and using leftover turkey from a special occasion dinner.
Update: I’ve updated this popular leftover turkey recipe today to make it more print friendly, add a link to the dumplings recipe, and, by request, to add the nutritional information as well.
Another leftover rescue recipe today that’s great for the day after that big turkey supper. When I’m finished carving all the meat from the turkey, I break up the entire carcass into smaller pieces. I then boil it gently in water for about 1 to 1 1/2 hours to make the intensely flavoured stock which is the base for this recipe.
If I don’t want to be tending a pot on top of the stove, a simpler solution is to follow the instructions I provide for making meat stocks in the oven. That is actually my preferred method these days.
I find that it is less fuss to make, as you just leave it in the oven to slowly simmer. I think the flavour from this method is better too.
With Thanksgiving on the horizon, I thought it would be a good idea to refresh this recipe. It’s definitely a great cooler weather dinner that satisfies
Many times I will make dough boys (dumplings) to serve with a stew like this. You can find my dough boys recipe in this post for Pea Soup. That is definitely comfort food at it’s best.
This delicious stew can be cooled and used as the filling for amazing Old Fashioned Turkey Pot Pie too. Make it as one large deep dish pie or as individual sized pies.
You might also like our recipe for Leftover Turkey Stroganoff:
Like this Turkey Stew recipe?
It’s easy to keep up with the latest home style cooking & baking ideas from Rock Recipes. Be sure to follow Rock Recipes Facebook Page and follow us on Instagram. Plus you’ll see daily recipe suggestions from decadent desserts to quick delicious weekday meals too.
You can also sign up for our FREE newsletter to know immediately when we add new recipes. You’ll also get weekly suggestions for great family friendly meals and desserts too!
Originally published April 23, 2008.
Leftover Turkey Stew - made by roasting vegetables to bring out their natural sweetness and flavour and using leftover turkey from a special occasion dinner.
- 2 lbs leftover cooked turkey, skinless and cut in chunks
- 2 litres turkey stock
- 3 carrots, peeled and sliced
- 3 parsnip, peeled and sliced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup green peas
- 1 small celeriac, celery root, diced
- 2 roasted red peppers, chopped
- 3 tbsp summer savoury
- 1 tsp ground sage, optional
- Salt and pepper to season
- ½ cup flour mixed with 1 cup water to make a thickening slurry
- Toss the carrot, parsnip and celeriac in 3 tbsp olive oil.
- Season the vegetables with salt and pepper and roast on a cookie sheet for about 30-40 minutes tossing occasionally until the vegetables are fork tender. I like to roast them on parchment paper so they are certain to to stick to the pan.
- In a large dutch oven, cook the onions and garlic in a little olive oil over medium heat until softened.
- Add the turkey stock, savoury and sage to the pot and bring it to a rolling boil.
- Thicken the stock to make gravy by whisking in the flour and water mixture. You may not need to use all the flour and water mixture but the gravy should be relatively thick.
- Stir in the roasted vegetables, peppers, peas and turkey.
- Cook in a 350 degree F oven for an additional half hour. Serve with dumplings if desired.
- If making the dumplings, add them in the last 15-20 minutes the stew is cooking with the lid on the dutch oven.
The nutritional information provided is automatically calculated by third party software and is meant as a guideline only. Exact accuracy is not guaranteed. For recipes where all ingredients may not be used entirely, such as those with coatings on meats, or with sauces or dressings for example, calorie & nutritional values per serving will likely be somewhat lower than indicated.
Rock Recipes a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. Our product recommendations are almost exclusively for those we currently use or have used in the past.
Amount Per Serving Calories 405Saturated Fat 1gCholesterol 81mgSodium 620mgCarbohydrates 42gFiber 9gSugar 9gProtein 38g