Lime Chicken Chimichangas with Lime Guacamole – lime flavoured chicken with peppers onions and cheese, all wrapped in a crispy fried tortilla shell and served with homemade guacamole and salsa.
Like this Lime Chicken Chimichangas recipe?
- 3 in boneless skinless chicken breasts cut strips
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cloves finely chopped garlic
- 1 small red onion chopped
- 1 in red pepper cut thin strips
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tbsp chilli powder
- Zest of one lime finely grated
- Juice of one lime
- ½ jalapeño pepper finely minced (optional or adjust to taste)
- Salt and pepper to season
- 8 ounces of Monterey Jack cheese cut in 6 , four inch strips (or any cheese you prefer)
- 6 inch large 10 flour tortillas
- Canola oil for deep frying
Heat olive oil in a non-stick skillet over medium heat.
Season chicken breast strips with salt and pepper and sauté for about 3 minutes along with the red onion and garlic.
Increase the heat to medium high and the lime juice and zest, spices and chopped jalapeño.
Sauté this until almost all of the juice has been reduced off , then set aside to cool a little.
Place the cheese strips in the center of the tortillas, add some red pepper strips and then the sautéed chicken mixture. Bring two opposite sides of the tortilla toward the centre (they don’t need to meet) Begin rolling from one of the ends, making sure that the seam is on the bottom of the chimichanga.
Heat oil to 325 degrees F in a deep fryer and place the chimichangas seam side down in the basket. Lower into the hot oil and fry until golden brown. (See note for alternative frying method)
Serve with salsa, sour cream and Lime Guacamole.
You can also shallow fry these in canola oil a nonstick pan. Just cover the bottom of the pan with oil and fry over medium low heat turning the chimichangas on all sides as they brown. Be sure to start with the set side down.