Moroccan lamb chops are marinated in fragrant spices, simply grilled and served with an easy herb Chermoula Sauce.
One of my very favorite things to grill is lamb and these Moroccan lamb chops are so flavorful and delicious, they have quickly become a repeat visitor to the backyard barbecue this summer.
The chops are simply marinated in a fragrant blend of aromatic spices, garlic, lemon and olive oil to infuse terrific flavor before hitting a hot grill for only a few minutes per side. I always serve grilled lamb pink at the center because I love it medium rare but these should still be moist and delicious if cooked a little longer to medium well or even well done. I never criticize how well done someone likes their meat, have it how you like. I personally learned to love medium rare steak and lamb by cooking it slightly less each time I made it until I came to prefer the juiciness of medium rare grilled meats.
The Chermoula Sauce is quite common in Moroccan cuisine. It really just is a mix of fresh herbs, spices , lemon, a little spicy pepper and olive oil that adds a really bright, fresh flavor to compliment the richness of the lamb. It really is a great flavor counterpoint to the meat but this simple condiment is fantastic to serve with grilled chicken, pork, beef and especially grilled fish. Don’t be afraid to try it on any or all of those.
These chops are terrific served with a simple mixed salad; you can even use some of the Chermoula Sauce to toss in the salad as a tasty alternative dressing. I most often serve these Moroccan lamb chops with plain instant couscous, which is ready in only 5 minutes after pouring on boiling water. The Chermoula sauce is great on the couscous too.
Take a look at the video below to see how easily this recipe comes together.
- 2 to 3 lbs fresh lamb chops
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 3 tbsp lemon juice
- 1½ tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp turmeric
- ½ tsp ground coriander seed
- 1 tsp ground cardamom
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 1 tbsp grated ginger
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- ½ tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 cup cilantro leaves
- ½ cup flat leaf parsley
- 2 cloves garlic
- pinch salt
- ½ tsp cumin
- ½ tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tbsp minced jalapeno (optional)
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil (approximately)
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- Mix all of the marinade ingredients together and pour into a Ziploc bag with the lamb chops.
- Marinate in the fridge for at least 2 hours.
- Process together in a food processor until smooth.
- Remove the lamb chops from the fridge for about a half hour before grilling, keeping them in the marinade. This will allow the meat to warm up to room temperature and allow them to cook more consistently on the grill.
- Grill the lamb chops over high heat for 3-4 minutes per side.
- Let the chops rest for 5 minutes before serving with couscous and Chermoula Sauce.