Apricot Coconut Crumble Bars. NEW VIDEO ADDED! A twist on a lemon version of the same cookie bars but could easily be made with any jam filling you prefer.
Originally published Dec 2018.
I love all kinds of crumble bar cookies and there are many others to be found here on Rock Recipes. With apricot, my favourite fruit filling being the star of the show though, this one has to be at the top of my favourites list.
This versatile recipe can use practically any fruit jam or compote for the filling. As an added bonus freezes very well too.
Just get them into the freezer immediately after they cool completely. This will preserve their freshness and prevent the inevitable overindulgence that will follow. 😉
Perhaps it’s the appealing photo that accounts for its popularity. Or perhaps there are a lot of other apricot lovers like me out there but this recipe has become one of our most popular cookie bars ever on Rock Recipes. T
hat’s something, considering there are over 200 cookie recipes on site.
Every year during the lead up to the Holiday baking season, this recipe always sees an upsurge in hits on the website. You’ll want to add them to you Christmas cookie list for sure, especially since they freeze so well, like I mentioned earlier.
Looking for more baking inspiration?
You might also like to try some of our very popular recipes in our Best Newfoundland Christmas Cookies Collection. They are definitely worth making at any time of year!
Like this Apricot Coconut Crumble Bars recipe?
Be sure to browse the photo index of over 200 cookies and cookie bar recipe is in our expansive Cookies Category.
Plus you’ll see daily recipe suggestions from decadent desserts to quick delicious weekday meals too.
You can also sign up for our FREE newsletter to know immediately when we add new recipes. You’ll also get weekly suggestions for great family friendly meals and desserts too!
Rock Recipes a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. Our product recommendations are almost exclusively for those we currently use or have used in the past.
Apricot Coconut Crumble Bars – a buttery coconut crumble bar with a delicious apricot compote filling. Freezes quite well too.
FOR THE COCONUT CRUMBLE
- 2 cups flour
- ¾ cup sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 cups dried coconut, , medium cut
- pinch salt
- 1 cup butter, , cut in small pieces
FOR THE APRICOT FILLING
- 3 cups chopped dried apricots, , (finely diced before measuring)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1½ cups boiling water
TO MAKE THE CRUMBLE
- Sift together the flour, sugar, baking powder, coconut and salt.
- Using your hands or a pastry blender cut the butter into the dry ingredients until the it is completely incorporated and the mixture resembles a coarse crumbly meal.
- Press half of the crumb mixture into the bottom of a 9 x 13 inch well greased baking pan.
- Pour and spread the apricot filling evenly over the bottom crumbs.
- Gently sprinkle the remaining crumbs over the apricot filling and press down gently.
- Bake in a 350 degree F oven for 40 – 45 minutes or until light golden brown in color. Cool completely in the pan before cutting into squares and serving.
TO MAKE THE APRICOT FILLING
- Simmer the chopped apricots, sugar and water until the apricots are softened and the mixture comes to a jam-like consistency.
- Alternatively, you can use a good quality apricot jam. You will need about 2½ cups.
Serving Size1 grams
Amount Per Serving Calories 156Total Fat 7gSaturated Fat 5gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 2gCholesterol 14mgSodium 69mgCarbohydrates 24gFiber 1gSugar 17gProtein 1g
The nutritional information provided is automatically calculated by third party software and is meant as a guideline only. Exact accuracy is not guaranteed. For recipes where all ingredients may not be used entirely, such as those with coatings on meats, or with sauces or dressings for example, calorie & nutritional values per serving will likely be somewhat lower than indicated.