Baked Southern Fried Chicken Wings with Orange Honey Drizzle. All the flavour and crunch of Southern fried wings but oven baked to reduce the added fat. Finished with a drizzle of orange infused honey.
Baked Southern Fried Chicken Wings with Orange Honey Drizzle – the inspiration for these tantalizing wings comes from a habit of drizzling honey on take out fried chicken. When it comes to fried chicken the Colonel is not king here in Newfoundland, we are reigned by Queen Mary.
Plenty of wing inspiration here.
As the number of recipes for them on this website will attest, I do love some great wings and when trying to come up with a way to pay homage to orange chicken in wing form, I thought of my love for honey on fried chicken.
Why not infuse the honey with the orange and impart the flavour that way? Some friends were dropping by for sips and nibbles so I got my chance to try it out.
These wings as pictured, were oven baked but if you prefer to deep fry them that’s perfectly fine. I’d give them about 15 minutes at 375 degrees F, depending on the size of the wings you’re using.
Like this Baked Southern Fried Chicken Wings recipe?
If you are a huge fan of great chicken wing recipes, like me, be sure to check out this delicious collection of 20 Fantastic Chicken Wing Recipes.
Plus you’ll see daily recipe suggestions from decadent desserts to quick delicious weekday meals too.
You can also sign up for our FREE newsletter to know immediately when we add new recipes. You’ll also get weekly suggestions for great family friendly meals and desserts too!
Rock Recipes a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. Our product recommendations are almost exclusively for those we currently use or have used in the past.
All the flavour and crunch of Southern fried wings but oven baked to reduce the added fat. Finished with a drizzle of orange infused honey.
- 3 cups flour
- 1 tbsp salt, plus more to season wings
- 1 tbsp freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp onion powder
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp dried thyme
- 1 tbsp ground sage
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 1 tbsp dry mustard powder
- 1 tbsp powdered ginger
- 1 tbsp paprika
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 3 - 4 lbs chicken wings
- 3 eggs
- 3 tbsp water
- 3 tbsp canola oil
- 1 cup honey
- zest of 1/2 large orange, finely grated
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Mix the flour with the salt, pepper and all of the herbs and spices
- Coat the bottom of a cookie sheet or large baking pan with the canola oil.
- Whisk together the eggs and water to make an egg wash.
- Season the wings with salt.
- One at a time, dip the chicken wings in the flour and herb/spice mix, then quickly into the egg wash and back into the flour dredge again.
- Place the coated chicken wings in the pan and lightly spray the tops with canola oil from a spray bottle.
- Bake for about 40 minutes or until fully cooked, golden brown and crispy, turning at least once during the cooking time.
For the orange honey drizzle
- Add the honey and orange zest to a small saucepan.
- Bring to a gentle simmer for only a minute then remove from the heat.
- Drizzle the wings with the orange honey when serving.
The flour and spice dredge mix can make enough for up to 2 batches of wings. I use half and store the other half in an airtight container in the freezer for next time. It's also great to have on hand to make quick chicken breast nuggets for the kids; much better and healthier than take out.
Serving Size1 serving
Amount Per Serving Calories 476Total Fat 22gSaturated Fat 5gUnsaturated Fat 0gCholesterol 112mgSodium 379mgCarbohydrates 52gFiber 2gSugar 35gProtein 21g