Cheesy Tomato Basil Baked Tortellini with Parmesan Pepper Crumb Topping. A simple but delicious baked pasta dinner that’s sure to make it’s way into your regular dinner rotation.
This delicious pasta dish was once again the result of a fridge clean out the other day. The fridge yielded some leftover simple tomato basil sauce from a pizza dinner a couple of nights earlier.
It also offered up half of a large package of cheese stuffed tortellini that the kids had opened when making their own lunch on the weekend. Added to tht were some mozzarella, asiago and Parmesan cheeses.
The end of a loaf of crusty Italian bread was also on the counter top for possible use as well as a bunch of basil that needed to be used within a day or so. Some leftover grilled chicken breast was also available to add to the mix but this would be a perfectly good meal even without the chicken.
In about 20 minutes I had all of these components thrown together into a casserole dish in about 20 minutes and in the oven for about 35 minutes, so in under an hour we had this delicious pasta dinner on the table.
It was so good that all of us had small second portions and although it was kind of an “everything but the kitchen sink sort of meal, it turned out so fantastically that it’s sure to make regular repeat appearances on our dinner table.
If you can’t get enough of great pasta dinner recipes, please check out our collection of 20 Best Pasta Dinners!
Like this Cheesy Tomato Basil Baked Tortellini recipe?
Plus you’ll see daily recipe suggestions from decadent desserts to quick delicious weekday meals too.
You can also sign up for our FREE newsletter to know immediately when we add new recipes. You’ll also get weekly suggestions for great family friendly meals and desserts too!
Rock Recipes a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. Our product recommendations are almost exclusively for those we currently use or have used in the past.
Cheesy Tomato Basil Baked Tortellini with Parmesan Pepper Crumb Topping - A simple but delicious baked pasta dinner that's sure to make it's way into your regular dinner rotation.
- 4 cups tomatoes
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1/2 cup asiago cheese
- 2 cups skim mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup fresh bread crumbs
- 2 tbsp olive oil or melted butter
- 2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
- 1 lb package fresh pasta
- In a medium saucepan over medium flame, heat the 2 tbsp olive oil and add the minced garlic. Saute for a minute.
- Add the crushed tomatoes, salt, pepper, brown sugar and balsamic vinegar.
- Simmer for about 20 minutes or until the sauce reduces and begins to thicken.
- Remove from heat and stir in the fresh basil and asiago cheese.
- Cook the tortellini in salted water and boil for 10 minutes or according to the package directions.Drain.
- Stir the drained tortellini and diced chicken (if using it) into the sauce.
- Sprinkle on the grated mozzarella.
- Pour the pasta and sauce into a greased casserole dish.
- Toss together the bread or cracker crumbs, olive oil (or melted butter), grated Parmesan and 2 tsp black pepper. Sprinkle evenly over the top of the mozzarella.
- Bake in a preheated 375 degree F oven for about 35 minutes or until the crumbs are golden brown and the sauce is bubbling.
4 cups crushed canned tomatoes
2 tbsp olive oil
4 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
pinch brown sugar
2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
1/2 cup chopped fresh basil
1/2 cup finely grated asiago cheese, or Parmesan
2 cups grated mozzarella cheese
1 cup bread or cracker crumbs
2 tbsp olive oil or melted butter
2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
1 lb package cheese tortellini
3-4 cooked chicken breasts, diced (optional)
Serving Size1 serving
Amount Per Serving Calories 414Total Fat 17gSaturated Fat 5gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 10gCholesterol 49mgSodium 875mgCarbohydrates 42gFiber 3gSugar 6gProtein 24g
The nutritional information provided is automatically calculated by third party software and is meant as a guideline only. Exact accuracy is not guaranteed. For recipes where all ingredients may not be used entirely, such as those with coatings on meats, or with sauces or dressings for example, calorie & nutritional values per serving will likely be somewhat lower than indicated.