Blueberry Snack Cake. An easy to make, moist, buttery snack cake with plenty of ripe blueberries baked right in. Great for packed lunches and after school snacks.
I cannot count the hundreds of times I have made this simple, moist, delicious, buttery little snack cake with an abundance of wild Newfoundland blueberries baked right in.
A terrific addition to any brown bag lunch, it is indeed more of a blueberry snack cake. However, we often had it as a duff with Sunday dinner when I was a kid here in Newfoundland.
Sometimes we still do. I often substitute local partridgeberries or bakeapples (lingonberries or cloudberries) to make other delicious versions.
I’ve also used one of my favorites, fresh raspberries, with great success. I love the way fruits like raspberries leave little jammy pockets in the cake.
Raisins are another popular substitution for the blueberries. Also, your favorite dried fruit, like apricots or cherries would be delicious too. Just be sure to cut them small enough; about the size of large raisins is about right.
This humble little blueberry cake also dresses up nicely as a luscious comfort food dessert. Try serving it warm from the oven with warm vanilla custard.
If you liked this simple cake, there are plenty more ideas like this in our Cakes and Pies Category.
There’s also a Lemon Blueberry Drizzle Cake version of this recipe which is incredibly delicious. Be sure to check that one out too.
Love homemade cakes from scratch? We’ve put together a collection of the 25 Most Baked Cakes of the last 12 years on Rock Recipes. You are sure to find several to love.
Like this Blueberry Snack Cake recipe?
Find plenty of other delicious ideas like this one in our Newfoundland Inspired Recipes Category.
For a more traditional Newfoundland pudding recipe, you may want to try our decades old family recipe for Figgy Duff.
It’s easy to keep up with the latest home style cooking & baking ideas from Rock Recipes. Be sure to follow Rock Recipes Facebook Page and follow us on Instagram. Plus you’ll see daily recipe suggestions from decadent desserts to quick delicious weekday meals too.
You can also sign up for our FREE newsletter to know immediately when we add new recipes. You’ll also get weekly suggestions for great family friendly meals and desserts too! You might also like our recipe for Quick Vanilla Cake with Bumbleberry Sauce.
Blueberry Snack Cake - an easy to make, moist, buttery snack cake with plenty of ripe blueberries baked right in. Great for packed lunches and after school snacks.
- 1/2 cup butter
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 cup milk
- 1 1/2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Grease a 9x9 inch baking pan well.
- Cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Beat in the vanilla extract.
- Sift together the flour and baking powder.
- Add the dry ingredients alternately with the milk, beginning and ending with the dry ingredients. In general, I add the dry ingredients in 3 portions and the milk in 2 additions.
- Quickly fold in the blueberries.
- Spread batter evenly into the prepared pan.
- Bake at 325 degrees F in a 9 inch well greased square pan for about 40 to 45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- The baking time can vary, especially if you use frozen berries. In that case it may take 10 or even 15 minutes more to bake. The toothpick test is the best way to ensure that this cake is fully baked.
Rock Recipes a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. Our product recommendations are almost exclusively for those we currently use or have used in the past.
Serving Size1 serving
Amount Per Serving Calories 302 Total Fat 12g Saturated Fat 7g Trans Fat 0g Unsaturated Fat 4g Cholesterol 71mg Sodium 220mg Carbohydrates 43g Fiber 1g Sugar 19g Protein 5g