Caramel Stuffed Salted Chocolate Cookies. Soft chocolate cookies stuffed with a caramel candy and sprinkled with sea salt. A few seconds in the microwave will warm the cookie up and soften the caramel center, making them even better.
Don’t these look ooey gooey good? It took a few attempts at the recipe to get this one right but I was very happy with the final results.
My initial dough was too soft and not quite chocolatey enough. The second was better, but the third was the charm.
The cookies did not spread too much and kept the caramel candy inside while still maintaining a soft cookie texture. I used Kraft Caramel candy which I think works best here.
Our entire family is very fond of salted chocolate or salted caramel and we just love a sprinkle of flaked sea salt on these cookies.
It is, of course, optional and you can simply omit it if you prefer. Another alternative is to roll the cookie dough balls in sugar before baking instead.
The caramels still stay soft enough to bite through easily enough when baked. However, my kids agree that the best way to enjoy one of these is to pop it into the microwave for just a few seconds to warm it and to soften the gooey caramel.
If you like this recipe, be sure to check out out collection of Favourite After School Cookies!
Originally published November 2013. Updated May 2020.
Like this Caramel Stuffed Salted Chocolate Cookies recipe?
Be sure to browse the photo index of over 200 cookie and cookie bar recipes is in our expansive Cookies Category.
Plus you’ll see daily recipe suggestions from decadent desserts to quick delicious weekday meals too.
You can also sign up for our FREE newsletter to know immediately when we add new recipes. You’ll also get weekly suggestions for great family friendly meals and desserts too!
Rock Recipes a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. Our product recommendations are almost exclusively for those we currently use or have used in the past.
Caramel Stuffed Salted Chocolate Cookies. Soft chocolate cookies stuffed with a caramel candy and sprinkled with sea salt. A few seconds in the microwave will warm the cookie up and soften the caramel center, making them even better
- 1 1/4 cups butter
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup cocoa
- 2 1/3 cups flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 18 Kraft Caramel Candies, Approximately
- flaked sea salt(optional)
- Cream together the butter and sugar well.
- Add the eggs and vanilla to the creamed mixture and beat until well combined.
- Sift together the cocoa, flour, baking soda, and 1/4 tsp salt.
- Add the dry ingredients to the creamed mixture. Mix well until a dough forms.
- Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate for several hours or overnight. Dough should be cold when it goes in the oven.
- Roll the dough into about 1 1/2 inch balls and push one of the caramel candies into the center, pinching the dough around the caramel to seal it inside.
- Place about 3 inches apart on a parchment paper lined baking sheet.
- Flatten the balls slightly and sprinkle on a small pinch of flaked sea salt (optional).
- Bake at 375 degrees F for about 12-14 minutes.
- Allow the cookies to cool on the pan for several minutes before placing them on a wire rack to cool completely
- .Store in an airtight container. Freezes well too.
- A few second in the microwave will warm the cookies and soften the caramel center if you prefer.
Serving Size1 cookie
Amount Per Serving Calories 321Total Fat 14gSaturated Fat 8gTrans Fat 1gUnsaturated Fat 4gCholesterol 55mgSodium 274mgCarbohydrates 47gFiber 1gSugar 33gProtein 3g
The nutritional information provided is automatically calculated by third party software and is meant as a guideline only. Exact accuracy is not guaranteed. For recipes where all ingredients may not be used entirely, such as those with coatings on meats, or with sauces or dressings for example, calorie & nutritional values per serving will likely be somewhat lower than indicated.