This Chocolate Banana Cake is a terrific recipe to use those always present brown speckled over ripe bananas on your counter in an easy to make, delicious dessert.
This new recipe for Chocolate Banana Cake reminds me that I think we may have to create a specialty category on Rock Recipes. One that’s just for ideas to use up over ripe bananas.
They which seem to be waiting, if not multiplying, on the kitchen counter. We’ve done dozens of banana recipes from muffins to many different banana breads.
We’ve even got a Sticky Toffee Banana Pudding. Today we put those bananas to delicious use in this moist and delicious chocolate banana cake.
You can bake this in round pans if you like, with the simple chocolate buttercream frosting as shown. Alternatively, bake it in a 9×13 baking pan and serve frosted or unfrosted as an easy snack cake.
Find a great, easy Chocolate Frosting Recipe here.
Love homemade cakes from scratch?
We’ve put together a collection of the 25 Most Baked Cakes of the last 12 years on Rock Recipes. You are sure to find several to love.
Like this Chocolate Banana Cake recipe?
Plus you’ll see daily recipe suggestions from decadent desserts to quick delicious weekday meals too.
You can also sign up for our FREE newsletter to know immediately when we add new recipes. You’ll also get weekly suggestions for great family friendly meals and desserts too!
This Chocolate Banana Cake is a terrific recipe to use those always present brown speckled bananas on your counter in an easy to make, delicious dessert.
- 2 cups flour
- 3/4 cup good quality cocoa
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 1/4 cups mashed banana mashed banana
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease two 9 inch cake pans well and dust with cocoa. (Or you can line the pans with parchment paper after greasing them.)
- Sift together the flour, cocoa, salt, baking powder and baking soda. Set aside.
- Cream together the butter, sugar and vanilla until light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Mix in the banana and vegetable oil.
- Mix together the lemon juice and milk to sour it.
- Fold the dry ingredients into the banana mixture, alternately with the soured milk. Begin and end with the dry ingredients. I add the dry ingredients in 3 portions and the soured milk in 2 portions.
- Divide the batter evenly between the two prepared pans and bake for 35-45 minutes or until a wooden toothpick inserted into the center of the cakes comes out clean.
- Cool completely on a wire rack before frosting.
Rock Recipes a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. Our product recommendations are almost exclusively for those we currently use or have used in the past.
Amount Per Serving Calories 361Total Fat 14gSaturated Fat 6gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 7gCholesterol 53mgSodium 313mgCarbohydrates 55gFiber 3gSugar 30gProtein 5g
The nutritional information provided is automatically calculated by third party software and is meant as a guideline only. Exact accuracy is not guaranteed. For recipes where all ingredients may not be used entirely, such as those with coatings on meats, or with sauces or dressings for example, calorie & nutritional values per serving will likely be somewhat lower than indicated.