Chocolate Hummingbird Cheesecake. A decadent dark chocolate cheesecake is baked directly on top of a banana pecan cake base; all in the same pan at the same time!
Originally published December 2008.
A little while back we featured a Carrot Cake Cheesecake that showed a cheesecake top baked at the same time on a cake base. This recipe is one that I came up with as another example of this method.
I thought that a banana pecan cake like a hummingbird cake would make an excellent base for a a chocolate cheesecake and indeed it did turn out very well.
My neighbourhood taste testers gave this one very high marks. I think it would make a very nice dessert at any holiday meal.
Like this Chocolate Hummingbird Cheesecake recipe?
Plus you’ll see daily recipe suggestions from decadent desserts to quick delicious weekday meals too.
You can also sign up for our FREE newsletter to know immediately when we add new recipes. You’ll also get weekly suggestions for great family friendly meals and desserts too!
Rock Recipes a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. Our product recommendations are almost exclusively for those we currently use or have used in the past.
Chocolate Hummingbird Cheesecake - a decadent dark chocolate cheesecake is baked directly on top of a banana pecan cake base; all in the same pan at the same time!
For the Hummingbird Cake Base
- 1 ½ cups flour
- ½ cup white sugar
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ¾ tsp baking powder
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup canola oil
- ½ cup roughly chopped toasted pecans, Toast pecans for 5 minutes at 350 degrees for 5 minutes tossing twice before chopping
- 2 small bananas, ripe but firm NOT MUSHY (cut in quarters length-ways and cubed)
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
For the Chocolate Cheesecake Top
- 1 pound cream cheese, 2 8oz blocks
- ¾ cup sugar
- 2/3 cup cocoa
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup whipping cream
For the Chocolate Ganache Glaze
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- ¼ cup whipping cream
- Whole toasted pecans for garnish, optional
To prepare the Hummingbird Cake Base
- Preheat oven to 325°. Grease a 9 or 10 inch spring form pan and line bottom with parchment paper. Grease the paper as well and dust the pan lightly with flour.
- Sift together flour, salt, baking soda, baking powder,cinnamon and nutmeg.
- Mix the sugars, eggs and oil until light and fluffy.
- Fold in the dry ingredients until not quite completely mixed.
- Finally fold in the chopped nuts and chopped bananas. Pour batter into the prepared pan.
To prepare the Chocolate Cheesecake top
- Blend together cream cheese, sugar, and cocoa. Add the eggs one at a time blending until smooth after each addition. Finally blend in the whipping cream and vanilla and mix until smooth.
- Spoon the cheesecake mixture evenly over the Hummingbird Cake batter in the springform pan and bake at 300 degrees F for 1 hour and 15 minutes. Cool completely in the pan before removing it to a serving plate. Garnish with chocolate ganache and toasted pecans if desired.
To prepare the chocolate ganache glaze
- Simply melt the chocolate chips and whipping cream together in a double boiler until smooth. It helps speed things up if you heat the whipping cream in the microwave for 15 seconds or so first.
Serving Size1 slice
Amount Per Serving Calories 457Total Fat 29gSaturated Fat 12gUnsaturated Fat 0gCholesterol 94mgSodium 199mgCarbohydrates 47gFiber 3gSugar 32gProtein 6g