Easy Orange Creamsicle Cake. A sponge cake soaked in tart, sweet orange syrup and then covered in a creamy mascarpone based frosting. So luscious!
Building on yesterday’s contention that a great sponge cake holds many dessert possibilities, here is a easy but decadent recipe inspired by the ever popular Creamsicle frozen treat.
Using the simple sponge cake as a base, the cake is soaked in a honey and orange syrup before being slathered in an amazingly rich vanilla, mascarpone and whipped cream frosting; truly worthy of any celebratory occasion.
This creamsicle cake recipe uses our old fashioned Sponge Cake that you will need to prepare and let cool before making the orange syrup and frosting. Get that sponge cake recipe here.
Love homemade cakes from scratch? We’ve put together a collection of the 25 Most Baked Cakes of the last 12 years on Rock Recipes. You are sure to find several to love.
Like this Orange Creamsicle Cake recipe?
It’s easy to keep up with the latest home style cooking & baking ideas from Rock Recipes. Be sure to follow Rock Recipes Facebook Page and follow us on Instagram. Plus you’ll see daily recipe suggestions from decadent desserts to quick delicious weekday meals too.
You can also sign up for our FREE newsletter to know immediately when we add new recipes. You’ll also get weekly suggestions for great family friendly meals and desserts too!
Originally published March 2010. Updated May 2019 to provide a printable recipe card and additional nutritional information.
Easy Orange Creamsicle Cake - a sponge cake soaked in tart, sweet orange syrup and then covered in a creamy mascarpone based frosting. So luscious!
- 1 sponge cake
- 3/4 cup frozen orange juice concentrate, thawed
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 cups whipping cream
- 1/2 cup icing sugar, powdered sugar
- 3 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup mascarpone cheese
- Mix together the orange juice concentrate and honey.
- Using a fork or wooden skewer poke plenty of holes all over the surface of both cake layers.
- Spoon the honey and orange syrup over the surface of both cake layers. You may need to do this in several attempts allowing the syrup to soak into the cake between applications.
- Whip the cream, icing sugar and vanilla to firm peaks.
- Remove about 3/4 of the whipped cream from the bowl and to the remaining 1/4 of the whipped cream, whip in the mascarpone cheese until smooth.
- Gently fold this mixture into the reserved whipped cream and frost the middle , sides and top of the cake with the frosting.
- Garnish with additional whipped cream and orange slices if desired.
- Chill the cake for a couple of hours before serving.
Nutritional information does not include the actual sponge cake, just the filling and frosting. The sponge cake adds only another 136 calories per slice.
Rock Recipes a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. Our product recommendations are almost exclusively for those we currently use or have used in the past.
Amount Per Serving Calories 403Total Fat 32gSaturated Fat 19gTrans Fat 1gUnsaturated Fat 9gCholesterol 96mgSodium 175mgCarbohydrates 29gFiber 0gSugar 27gProtein 3g
The nutritional information provided is automatically calculated by third party software and is meant as a guideline only. Exact accuracy is not guaranteed. For recipes where all ingredients may not be used entirely, such as those with coatings on meats, or with sauces or dressings for example, calorie & nutritional values per serving will likely be somewhat lower than indicated.