Ginger Braised Beef Roast with Hoisin Jus. A beautiful, fall-apart tender, braised pot roast with Asian inspired flavours. Served with a delicious beef jus that’s flavoured with Hoisin and soy sauce at the end.
This Ginger Braised Beef Roast with Hoisin Jus is definitely a different take on your Sunday pot roast. And a really delicious one too.
My kids and Kathryn, our spare teenager and frequent dinner guest, particularly liked the beef jus that we served with this roast.
It’s simply made from the leftover braising liquid. The liquid is simmered with Hoisin sauce and soy sauce for familiar Asian flavour that goes so well with the slow cooked beef.
The recipe calls for 3 cloves of garlic but you can add more or less to taste. For my taste, I at least double the garlic.
But then again, I am a fiend for the stuff. Very few roast dinners around here do not use it.
All three teenagers at the table devoured this meal in short order, even going back for seconds.
We served it with simple stir fried baby bok choy and peppers and some sweet potato mash for a completely satisfying dinner.
My beef cut of choice for this recipe is a chuck/blade roast. For the most part, it is called chuck in the US and blade roast in Canada.
You can also use beef brisket but that generally takes longer to cooking in the oven. Although that extra time is well worth it.
You may also want to try our most popular beef recipe ever, Worcestershire Butter Roast Beef.
Like this Ginger Braised Beef Roast recipe?
Plus you’ll see daily recipe suggestions from decadent desserts to quick delicious weekday meals too.
You can also sign up for our FREE newsletter to know immediately when we add new recipes. You’ll also get weekly suggestions for great family friendly meals and desserts too!
Rock Recipes a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. Our product recommendations are almost exclusively for those we currently use or have used in the past.
This Ginger Braised Beef with Hoisin Jus is an Asian inspired twist on a traditional pot roast. We served it with sweet potato mash and stir fried veggies.
- 4 lb beef roast, chuck/blade, cross rib or sirloin work well
- 3 cups beef stock
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 3 cloves minced garlic
- 1 tsp five spice powder
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 tbsp freshly grated ginger
- 1/2 tsp ground fennel seed
- 2 tbsp honey
- 3 tbsp soy sauce
- 1/2 cup Hoisin sauce
- 6 carrots, , cut in sticks or coins
- Season the roast with salt and pepper and brown on all sides in a cast iron pan with a little canola oil added to the pan. Transfer the roast to a covered roaster or heavy dutch oven.
- Add the beef stock, orange juice, onion, garlic, five spice powder, salt, pepper, ginger and honey. Stir to blend the ingredients together.
- Cover the roasting pan tightly with aluminum foil before adding the lid. Place in a preheated 350 degree oven for 3 to 4 hours until the meat is tender and almost falling apart.
- In the last half hour or so of cooking time add the carrots to the roasting pan.
- Remove the meat from the pan, cover with aluminum foil and hold in a 150 degree oven while you prepare the jus.
- Pour the beef braising liquid from the roasting pan into a saucepan and skim any excess fat.
- Simmer to reduce the volume by about 1/4, then add the soy sauce and Hoisin sauce. Simmer for just a few minutes more and serve with the carved beef roast.
- Delicious served with simple steamed rice or sweet potato mash and stir fried Chinese vegetables.
Serving Size10 Servings, approximately
Amount Per Serving Calories 418Saturated Fat 9gCholesterol 126mgSodium 816mgCarbohydrates 19gFiber 2gSugar 12gProtein 38g