Honey Barbecue Pulled Beef Sandwiches with Creamy Dijon Coleslaw. Tender beef, slow braised in the oven or slow cooker, in an easy, smoky homemade barbecue sauce. Served on toasted buns or crusty bread with delicious Creamy Dijon Coleslaw.
Honey Barbecue Pulled Beef Sandwiches with Creamy Dijon Coleslaw
I love low effort recipes like this one, especially on the weekend when you may not have a lot of time to cook. This recipe takes a minimum of advance preparation before going into a low oven or slow cooker to slowly braise to tender perfection all afternoon while you’re busy with other things.
A great addition to this recipe are my sandwich rolls for making Philly Cheese Steak Sandwiches.
I don’t add the honey and vinegar to the barbecue sauce while the beef braises because I like to preserve the flavour of the beef without penetrating it with sweetness.
The spiced tomato, onion and garlic sauce is perfect for braising the beef before the sweet and tangy elements are added to the sauce after the roast is cooked. This way, the pure flavour of the beef and the sweet, tangy flavour of the sauce remain distinct but compliment each other amazingly.
Don’t be afraid to double up on this recipe to feed a large group or to take along to a pot luck supper; it’s been very popular when I have shared it at a couple of gatherings recently.
I do like to toast the burger buns or crusty bread slices but it isn’t completely necessary if you want to include them on the buffet table along with the beef and coleslaw so that people can construct their own sandwiches.
Check out our Apple BBBQ Pulled Pork Sandwiches recipe too!
Like this Pulled Beef Sandwiches recipe?
It’s easy to keep up with the latest home style cooking & baking ideas from Rock Recipes. Be sure to follow Rock Recipes Facebook Page and follow us on Instagram. Plus you’ll see daily recipe suggestions from decadent desserts to quick delicious weekday meals too.
You can also sign up for our FREE newsletter to know immediately when we add new recipes. You’ll also get weekly suggestions for great family friendly meals and desserts too!
You might also like our BLT Salad with Creamy Dijon Dressing and Garlic Herb Croutons.
Updated July 2018 to include instructions for preparation in a slow cooker, to add option for metric measurements and to add nutritional information.
Honey Barbecue Pulled Beef Sandwiches with Creamy Dijon Coleslaw – tender beef, slow braised in an easy, smoky homemade barbecue sauce then served on toasted buns or crusty bread with delicious Creamy Dijon Coleslaw. The perfect way to feed a crowd on game day and a real pot luck favourite too.
- 3 – 4 pound blade, chuck or cross rib beef roast
- salt and pepper to season the roast
- 1 1/2 cups plain tomato sauce
- 1 medium red onion very finely diced
- 4 cloves garlic finely minced
- 1/2 to 1 tsp chipotle powder, to taste depending on spice level you prefer
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 2 tsp dry mustard powder
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground thyme
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
For the Creamy Dijon Cole Slaw
- 2 cups shredded cabbage
- 1 large grated carrot
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 1/2 tbsp whole grain Dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 3 tbsp sugar, or 2 tbsp honey
- salt and pepper to season
- Season the beef roast with salt and pepper. heat a couple of tablespoons of vegetable oil in a cast iron or heavy bottom skillet and then brown it on all sides.
- Transfer the roast to a covered roasting an or dutch oven.
- Stir together the tomato sauce, garlic, onions and all of the spices, salt and pepper.
- Pour over the roast, cover and cook in a 325 degree F oven for about 3 hours or a little longer for a larger roast, until the meat is tender and falling apart. I like to turn the roast in the sauce half way through the cooking time.
- When cooked, remove the meat, cover with aluminum foil and transfer the sauce in the pan to a small saucepan.
- Add the honey and vinegar and simmer for about 15 – 20 minutes or until it thickens to a barbecue sauce consistency.
- Using a fork (or just your fingers if the roast has cooled down sufficiently) pull the beef apart in small finger with pieces, removing any excess fat as you go.
- Pour the hot sauce over the beef.
- Serve on toasted burger buns or artisan crusty bread. I love to serve it with some Creamy Dijon Cole Slaw.
To make the slaw
- Stir together the mayo, Dijon mustard, vinegar, sugar (or honey), salt and pepper.
- Toss together well with the cabbage and carrot.
You can use a slow cooker for this recipe as well. Just follow the instructions for browning the roast first, then add it to the slow cooker. Follow the rest of the instructions and cook for about 8 hours on low or until the meat is pull apart tender.
The nutritional information provided is automatically calculated by third party software and is meant as a guideline only. Exact accuracy is not guaranteed. For recipes where all ingredients may not be used entirely, such as those with coatings on meats, or with sauces or dressings for example, calorie & nutritional values per serving will likely be somewhat lower than indicated.
Amount Per Serving Calories 530Saturated Fat 6gCholesterol 138mgSodium 426mgCarbohydrates 28gFiber 2gSugar 25gProtein 47g
Rock Recipes a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. Our product recommendations are almost exclusively for those we currently use or have used in the past.