Irish Coffee Cake. Inspired by an Irish Coffee, this is a chocolate stout cake with a an easy Bailey’s Irish Cream frosting. The ideal cake for St. Patrick’s Day or an Irish themed birthday cake!
As another St. Patrick’s Day comes around, we will all be celebrating closer to home this year. Why not celebrate with this delicious dessert cake that’s sure to please.
We do have a bit of a tradition to celebrate our Irish heritage here in Newfoundland. Over the years, we have had a number of tasty ways here on Rock Recipes, to do just that.
Dessert is never an option for any celebration at our house and St. Patrick’s Day is no exception. Again this year we take inspiration from the best Irish tipples.
Nothing warms a cold mid March heart like a good Irish Coffee, with it’s boozy components of Irish Whiskey and Irish Cream. Here we borrow some of those flavours to make this outstanding celebration cake.
This cake can be made a little less boozy by eliminating the whiskey. It will still be just as delicious!
So raise a glass or just a piece of cake and have the very best St, Patrick’s Day. Erin go Bragh!
As an alternative to this delicious idea, we have a similarly themed Chocolate Stout Cake with Irish Cream Truffle Filling & Chocolate Whisky Glaze that you may want to try too.
Like this Irish Coffee Cake recipe?
Plus you’ll see daily recipe suggestions from decadent desserts to quick delicious weekday meals too.
You can also sign up for our FREE newsletter to know immediately when we add new recipes. You’ll also get weekly suggestions for great family friendly meals and desserts too!
Rock Recipes a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. Our product recommendations are almost exclusively for those we currently use or have used in the past.
Irish Coffee Cake. Inspired by an Irish Coffee, this is a chocolate stout cake with a an easy Bailey's Irish Cream frosting. The ideal cake for St. Patrick's Day or an Irish themed birthday cake!
For the Chocolate Stout Cake
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- ¾ cup cocoa
- 2 tsp . baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 pint Guiness stout, 2 cups
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
For the Irish Cream Frosting
- 3/4 cup butter
- 4 cups icing sugar i.e. powdered sugar or confectioners sugar
- 1/3 cup Irish Cream Liqueur
You will also need
- 2 ounces Irish Whiskey (optional)
To prepare the cake batter
- Combine all ingredients in a mixing bowl and beat with electric mixer for 2 minutes.
- Pour into 2 greased 9 inch cake pans. I like to use additional cocoa to dust the sides and bottom of the pans instead of flour and I do usually line the bottom of the cake pans with parchment paper.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 30-35 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool in pans for 5 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- When cooled, sprinkle each layer with one ounce of Irish whiskey if you choose to use it.
To Prepare the Irish Cream Frosting
- With an electric mixer, beat together the butter, icing sugar and Irish cream until very smooth.
- This frosting should be easily spreadable. If you think it’s too thick, you may add a few drops of Irish Cream at a time to bring it to the right consistency. If it is too soft, add a little more icing sugar.
- Frost the middle and top of the cake with the frosting.
Amount Per Serving Calories 537Total Fat 17gSaturated Fat 6gTrans Fat 1gUnsaturated Fat 9gCholesterol 46mgSodium 294mgCarbohydrates 86gFiber 1gSugar 69gProtein 3g
The nutritional information provided is automatically calculated by third party software and is meant as a guideline only. Exact accuracy is not guaranteed. For recipes where all ingredients may not be used entirely, such as those with coatings on meats, or with sauces or dressings for example, calorie & nutritional values per serving will likely be somewhat lower than indicated.