Super Easy Lime Bars. Using only 5 simple ingredients and a very quick preparation time, these refreshing lime bars are based on easiest and best lemon bar recipe I’ve ever tried in almost 40 years of baking.
I make the lemon version of these lime bars all the time but with some leftover limes in the fridge needing to be used, this recipe was the easiest and quickest way to turn them into something delicious.
I was so happy to find the lemon version of this cookie bar because with only 5 simple ingredients and a quick preparation time, it quickly became a household standard.
In our part of the world, it is so much less expensive to buy lemons or limes by the bag than by buying them individually.
We often pick up a 3 or 4 pound bag. If we are slow to use them in drinks or in simple salad dressings, they most often will now be turned into these yummy cookie bars.
(If you like this recipe you may also want to check out our Frozen Key Lime Pie.)
These Lime Bars are great for the freezer too, so we often have them on hand to pull out at the last minute if someone drops by for coffee.
If you only have lemons on hand don’t hesitate to try these as Lemon Bars… It’s one of our most popular cookie bar recipes of the last 10 years.
If you liked this recipe you many want to check out this great collection of No Bake Cookies that was incredibly popular during our last Holiday season.
Originally published July 2014, Updated March 2020.
Like this Lime Bars recipe?
For over 200 more delectable cookie recipes browse through the photo links in our Cookie Gallery.
Plus you’ll see daily recipe suggestions from decadent desserts to quick delicious weekday meals too.
You can also sign up for our FREE newsletter to know immediately when we add new recipes. You’ll also get weekly suggestions for great family friendly meals and desserts too!
Rock Recipes a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. Our product recommendations are almost exclusively for those we currently use or have used in the past.
Super Easy Lime Bars - Using only 5 simple ingredients and a very quick preparation time, these refreshing lime bars are based on easiest and best lemon bar recipe I've ever tried in almost 40 years of baking.
For the pastry base
- 1 cup cold butter, cut in small pieces
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 cups flour
For the lime layer
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1/4 cup flour
- 4 eggs
- zest of two limes, very finely chopped
- juice of 4 to 5 small limes, around 2/3 to 3/4 cup juice
To make the pastry base
- Using a pastry cutter or in a food processor blend together the butter sugar and flour.
- Press evenly into the bottom of a greased and parchment paper lined 9×13 inch baking pan.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes at 350 degrees F ( 325 degrees F if you are using glass bake-ware)
For the lime topping
- Simply whisk together the sugar flour, eggs, zest and lime juice until the sugar is dissolved.
- Allow the topping to sit for about 10 minutes before whisking together well again and pouring over the baked shortbread base.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for about another 20- 25 minutes or until the top is slightly browned and the custard appears to be set. The bottom should just be beginning to brown slightly at the top edges. Cool completely. Sprinkle with icing sugar when cool or try adding a meringue topping.
Serving Size36 cookie bars
Amount Per Serving Calories 124Total Fat 6gSaturated Fat 3gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 2gCholesterol 34mgSodium 55mgCarbohydrates 20gFiber 1gSugar 13gProtein 2g
The nutritional information provided is automatically calculated by third party software and is meant as a guideline only. Exact accuracy is not guaranteed. For recipes where all ingredients may not be used entirely, such as those with coatings on meats, or with sauces or dressings for example, calorie & nutritional values per serving will likely be somewhat lower than indicated.