Slow Cooked Moroccan Chicken with Mission Figs. Such an amazing mix of flavours in this easy to prepare chicken dish. It’s worth preparing just for the heavenly aroma that will fill your kitchen as it cooks.
I don’t normally cook a lot of slow cooked chicken recipes. When it comes to chicken, quick and easy recipes are what I gravitate toward most.
Even with roast chicken these days, we tend to almost always use our One Hour Roast Chicken method. It’s still juicy and succulent, even in that short a time.
However, this particular recipe is one is worth trying just to enjoy the smell through the house as it’s cooking! It is phenomenal!
The fragrance of the spices wafting from the kitchen will have the whole household drooling in anticipation. And it tastes as good as it smells too.
We almost always serve this on a bed of couscous but I particularly like to use the larger grained Israeli Couscous as shown, if I can find it.
Go ahead and try this favour packed chicken dinner. Your nose and tastebuds will thank you.
Originally published March 2008. Updated July 2020.
Looking for more tasty chicken dinner ideas?
Be sure to check out this newly updated collection of Our Top Ten Chicken Dinners from more than a decade online. These have been made literally millions of times and get the best reviews from our followers.
Like this Moroccan Chicken recipe?
You’ll find hundreds of other great ideas in our Quick & Easy Dinners Category and even more in our Chicken Recipes Category.
It’s easy to keep up with the latest home style cooking & baking ideas from Rock Recipes. Be sure to follow Rock Recipes Facebook Page and follow us on Instagram.
Plus you’ll see daily recipe suggestions from decadent desserts to quick delicious weekday meals too.
You can also sign up for our FREE newsletter to know immediately when we add new recipes. You’ll also get weekly suggestions for great family friendly meals and desserts too!
Rock Recipes a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. Our product recommendations are almost exclusively for those we currently use or have used in the past.
Slow Cooked Moroccan Chicken with Mission Figs - such an amazing mix of flavours in this easy to prepare chicken dish. It's worth preparing just for the heavenly aroma that will fill your kitchen as it cooks.
- 1 whole chicken cut in pieces or 3 pounds chicken drumsticks and/or thighs, dark meat does braise best
- 3 tbsp olive oil.
- Salt and pepper to season
- 1 ¼ cups chicken stock
- 1 ¼ cups apple juice
- 1 cup chopped mission figs, regular dried figs or dates make good substitutions if you prefer
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 1 chopped onion
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh ginger root
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp cracked black pepper
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon fresh grated nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- Season chicken pieces with salt and pepper.
- In a large heavy bottomed skillet, heat the oil and brown the chicken pieces well on all sides.
- Transfer the browned pieces to a covered roasting pan.
- In a large bowl add and combine all of the other ingredients well.
- Pour over the chicken pieces, cover and cook in a 300 degree oven for 1 1/2 hours.
- You can reduce the sauce to thicken by boiling it on the stove top for a few minutes if desired after removing the chicken pieces.
- Shown served on a bed of Israeli couscous but can be served on rice as well.
Use the same preparation to make this dish in a slow cooker as well. The time of course would have to be adjusted to about 2 - 3 hours depending on your heat setting. When the chicken is falling off the bone, it is done.
Serving Size1 serving
Amount Per Serving Calories 423Total Fat 24gSaturated Fat 6gUnsaturated Fat 0gCholesterol 83mgSodium 640mgCarbohydrates 29gFiber 2gSugar 22gProtein 22g