Phyllo Chicken Prosciutto Margherita. A fantastic dinner party dish that can be prepared in advance, including the sauce. Just pop the wrapped chicken breasts in the oven when your guests arrive.
This version of phyllo chicken prosciutto is another great dinner party idea that can be prepared in advance. Then, it and popped into the oven when drinks and nibbles are served.
I served this one with penne pasta and the terrific Roasted Fennel and Tomato Sauce shown in the photo.
This is also one of my often recommended recipes for Valentine’s Day. That’s because it is so easy to have prepared in advance as well.
That could work for other occasions too like an anniversary or birthday dinner. Entertaining like this requires really good preparation, but once that’s done, there’s little to do on when guests arrive.
Spend your time enjoying family and friends instead of in the kitchen. That’s always my approach.
Originally published June 2011. Updated Oct 2020.
Like this Phyllo Chicken Prosciutto Margherita recipe?
Find hundreds of other inventive dishes like this one in our Chicken Recipes Category
Plus you’ll see daily recipe suggestions from decadent desserts to quick delicious weekday meals too.
You can also sign up for our FREE newsletter to know immediately when we add new recipes. You’ll also get weekly suggestions for great family friendly meals and desserts too!
Rock Recipes a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. Our product recommendations are almost exclusively for those we currently use or have used in the past.
Phyllo Chicken Prosciutto Margherita - a fantastic dinner party dish that can be prepared in advance, including the sauce. Just pop the wrapped chicken breasts in the oven when your guests arrive.
- 1 pkg frozen phyllo pastry, thawed
- 4 large boneless chicken breasts
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 1 cup melted butter
- salt and pepper to season
- fresh basil leaves
- 6 ounces fresh mozzarella
- 8 thin slices prosciutto
For the Roasted Fennel and Tomato Sauce
- 8 large ripe tomatoes diced
- 1 large fennel bulb diced
- 1 medium red onion diced
- 4 cloves chopped garlic
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp crushed chilies, optional
- Salt and pepper to season
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh oregano
- 2 tbsp chopped chives
- 3 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- Begin by butterfly cutting the chicken breasts and laying them flat on the cutting board. Alternatively you can place each chicken breast between 2 sheets of plastic wrap and pound the chicken out to a half inch thickness with a flat mallet.
- Season the chicken breasts with salt and pepper and rub the minced garlic over the surface of the chicken.
- Lay the prosciutto on top of the chicken, almost covering it, then cover the prosciutto with fresh basil leaves.
- Place a 1 1/2 ounce rectangular piece of fresh mozzarella at one end of the chicken and roll the whole thing up.
- The phyllo sheets I use measure about 12×18 inches which I cut in half to make 12×9 inch sheets; I use 4 of these half sheets per chicken breast.
- Brush each sheet with melted butter and stack 4 of them together.
- Place one rolled chicken breast in the center of the shorter side of the phyllo sheets near the edge.
- Bring the two longer sides on the phyllo up over the ends of the chicken breasts and then roll the chicken breast up. (Similar to the method used to make spring rolls.)
- Place the wrapped chicken breast, seam side down, on a silicone or parchment lined cookie sheet.
- Bake at 375 degrees F for about 30-40 minutes depending upon the size of the chicken breasts you use. I use a meat thermometer to test them and make sure that the temperature at the center of the chicken breasts is 175 degrees F or greater before taking them out of the oven. Let the chicken rest for 5-10 minutes before serving with the roasted fennel and tomato sauce and your favorite pasta.
To make the Roasted Fennel Tomato Sauce
- Toss all ingredients together in a shallow baking dish and bake at 350 degrees F.
- Cook for about 60-70 minutes, stirring occasionally or until the fennel pieces are very soft and most of the liquid has cooked off and the sauce reaches a good chunky consistency.
Serving Size1 serving
Amount Per Serving Calories 1062Total Fat 66gSaturated Fat 28gUnsaturated Fat 0gCholesterol 222mgSodium 1179mgCarbohydrates 60gFiber 8gSugar 17gProtein 57g