Pork Chimichangas with Avocado Pineapple Salsa. Turn leftover grilled or roast pork into a completely different and totally flavourful meal the next day. Your family will learn to love these leftovers!
Today’s pork chimichangas dish is another leftover rescue recipe! We made these fantastic chimichangas from slices roasted center loin of pork that we had for Sunday dinner.
The recipe can be made from leftover grilled pork chops or pork tenderloin as well. If you are not a pork eater, chicken is an easy substitution and just as delicious.
The leftover pork stayed moist and juicy in the chimichangas, helped along by some fresh diced tomatoes and just the right amount of spice.
The avocado and pineapple salsa provides a fresh delicious counterpoint to the crispy tortilla shell, melting cheese and tasty pork.
We make several kinds of chimichangas at our house including Spouse’s Lime Chicken Chimichangas but I think this one just edges out as my new favourite.
Love pasta dinners too?
If you can’t get enough of great pasta dinner recipes, please check out our collection of 20 Best Pasta Dinners!
Like this Pork Chimichangas with Avocado Pineapple Salsa recipe?
Plus you’ll see daily recipe suggestions from decadent desserts to quick delicious weekday meals too.
You can also sign up for our FREE newsletter to know immediately when we add new recipes. You’ll also get weekly suggestions for great family friendly meals and desserts too!
Rock Recipes a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. Our product recommendations are almost exclusively for those we currently use or have used in the past.
Pork Chimichangas with Avocado Pineapple Salsa - turn leftover grilled or roast pork into a completely different and totally flavorful meal the next day. Your family will learn to love these leftovers!
For the Chimichangas
- 4 flour tortillas, 10 -12 inches in diameter
- 8 ounces Monterey Jack cheese cut in 4 six inch strips
- 3 cups cooked pork, very thinly sliced and roughly chopped
- 2 roma tomatoes, de-seeded and diced small
- 1/2 tsp chipotle powder, or 1 tsp chili powder
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- pinch salt
- canola oil for frying
For the Avocado Pineapple Salsa
- 1 ½ cups fresh golden pineapple, diced small
- 1 clove minced garlic
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- ½ red onion diced
- 1 tbsp finely chopped jalapeño pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp coarse ground black pepper
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro or basil
- ½ red pepper diced small
- 1 large avocado diced
To prepare the chimichangas
- Toss together the tomatoes, olive oil, chipotle powder, cumin, salt and pepper. Add the chopped pork and toss together well.
- Place the cheese strips in the center of the tortillas. Add 1/4 of the pork mixture beside the cheese. Bring two opposite sides of the tortilla toward the center, they don’t need to meet. Begin rolling from one of the ends, making sure that the seam is on the bottom of the chimichanga.
- Heat oil to 325 degrees F in a deep fryer and place the chimichangas seam side down in the basket. Lower into the hot oil and fry until golden brown. Serve with the Avocado Pineapple Salsa.
To prepare the salsa
- Toss all ingredients together well in a glass bowl.
- Let stand for about 2 hours before serving, stirring occasionally.
- Serve at room temperature.
Serving Size1 chimichanga
Amount Per Serving Calories 751Total Fat 49gSaturated Fat 18gUnsaturated Fat 0gCholesterol 142mgSodium 1182mgCarbohydrates 36gFiber 6gSugar 13gProtein 44g